Kids ??

My husband and I were talking about kids we know that are giving their parents problems. We were talking about our kids and how we feel so blessed because our kids don't have behavior issues and are just really really good people. Does anyone else feel that? Please share the positives....I could use some.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 8:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yes, my husband and I feel the same way, particularly when we get together with the cousins because they are so misbehaved. We are fairly strict, but loving, and have taught our children well, whereas our in-law siblings let their children walk all over them. It's a sad shame because they are sooo manipulative and out of control and I fear it will only get worse as time goes on.

It warms my heart when I get feedback from individuals on how well-mannered and behaved our children are. They're not perfect, by any means. They test us, of course, but we PARENT them, unlike so many others who feel they should only be friends to their children and are afraid to be firm because they'll be scarred for life (yes, that's one of the excuses SIL used on why she doesn't discipline her daughters).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• It's funny, we were out to dinner to celebrate my son's birthday yesterday. My family 16 of us. I was sitting in a booth behind the boys. They started to get a little rambunctious. I simply said, "Boys." Apparently they thought they were in trouble. Both of them froze, turned and straightened up in their seats and continued eating. Everyone started laughing at me. I just said again, "Boys," They turned to me and I said, "Heres some quarters for video games." What was funny is that is what I was going to say the first time.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 8:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I really see how good my daughter really is when we're out in public. She knows how to behave and she can spot bad behavior in other children...for example if there is a child having a fit in the store she will say "That baby is being naughty for his mommy". That isn't to say she doesn't push her limits at home a lot, but we must be doing something right.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have a 2 year old and she is very well behaved. But as of lately she is now pouting alot. She gets in trouble for it so I know that shes not seeking attention.

But any other time she is the best kid. She will clean up after herself. She will say please and thank you. I love you, I want!! LOL. she really is a great kid minus the pouting.
    Ashlynsmommy06

Answer by Ashlynsmommy06 at 9:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My boys downright "typical boys" at home. They fight, talk back and are distructive!! When I take them out, though, I get comments on what nice kids I have and how well behaved they are. I let them be kids, but there is a time and a place! I love when people comment on their behavior.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Enjoy the good times, but please don't ever become too smug about it. Most kids are good most of the time and most kids have their moments of not so great behavior. Also, families do have different standards of what is acceptable behavior. It is a wonderful feeling to have the chance to be proud of your kids, though! That is undeniable. And yes, I am pleased with my own kids most of the time....and since my oldest is 19 I have been through lots of ups and downs. She is a person I am proud to call my daughter, and I have a really good feeling about that. My son is almost 11 and I really like him too! I like their values and the kind of people they are becoming.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 12:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• "Enjoy the good times, but please don't ever become too smug about it. " What do you mean?

I love my kids but accept that they are human and expect mistakes ect.. Is that what you mean?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2008