she keeps hitting and pulling her own hair...

I am not sure why, but my 15 month old has started hitting herself in the face and head, and then pulling her own hair. NO one does this to her and she has gotten scolded for doing it to us in the past, so she does know it is bad. But I want to know, why she would be doing it to herself?

lilredsfrm67

Asked by lilredsfrm67 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ignore her. she likes the attention she gets from doing it. She is not going to actually hurt herself so just look at it like a tantrum and let her get her frustrations out. If she's giving her self bad bruises and pulling huge chunks of hair out then Id worry. When my dd is mad she slams her head into things. She looks at me to see what Im gonna do about it and I dont look back.When she realizes Im not paying her any attention then she stops
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my daughter went through that and still does it occationally at 18 months. I think it's just a phase.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My dd also licks things when shes mad! lol Kids do weird things for attention! :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Welcome to the tantrum stage. She isn't going to hurt herself. It's just how she vents frustration. They don't know how to deal with it yet. It is your job, to teach her, slowly, it won't happen overnight, how to handle frustration. If she sees you pitching a fit when you get upset, expect more of the same. Stay calm but firm when she does it. It will eventually phase out if you stay consistent.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 11:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my dd bites herself so hard that she has brought blood at the first time she did it i thought it was a rash she almost 2 and still continues i dont have any clue what to do about these what i call tantrums
    SuPeRMoM272008

Answer by SuPeRMoM272008 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• DD throws herself on the ground and cries. It is pathetic really. But funny too. I just ignore her. After a couple of minutes she wants me to hold her. I think she is just learning how to handle "no." Until recently, we had no reason to tell her no. Everything she wanted was a necessity or something easy like toys. I have noticed the more I stick to my guns, the better the tantrums get.

She used to throw huge tantrums because she wanted to watch Elmo on youtube. It became an obsession and it was all she wanted to do. I decided to stop it completly (even at Grandma's house). Initially, it was crazy! Huge tantrums. After awhile, she would ask to watch Elmo, I would say no, and she would do something else. Now she doesn't even ask. It just takes time.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2008