Amniocentesis? Lungs not mature at 37 weeks? Still being induced??? HELP!!! adult content

On Friday, I had the Amniocentesis to check for lung maturity... we got a 22 when they needed to be a 55. The Dr. gave me a shot of steriods and 24 hrs later another one. Today I went to the Doctor and am still having complications and High BP even when on medication for it and the doctor said if my blood work comes back good the I will be induced tomorrow night and if it does not then it wil be tonight!!!! Also the baby is a girl and weighs 7 lbs 5 oz. The dr said he cant put it off any longer , because my health is on the line. What should I expect? Nicu? Should the steroids have helped? How much?? Please share your own personal experiences/stories.. Thanks. God Bless you!!

KinsleysMommy15

Asked by KinsleysMommy15 at 12:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Both of my babies were born at 37 weeks exactly and they were both perfect not any issues with breathing at all.

I think you are so close to term and also the steroids....I think your baby will be just fine!

The high blood pressure can really be a problem...so listen to your DR! :) Good Luck!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Try to relax, I know its hard but at this point, they are doing the best for you BOTH. you won't know exactly what will happen until she's out and they get a chance to see her and how she is doing.. good luck!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• at this point, it would be safer for both of you to be induced. elevated blood pressure is not healthy for either of you. i had hypertension with my oldest and they induced me too. we were both fine after delivery, she was one day shy of 39 weeks though. she did end up in the nicu, but not because of lung troubles. just know that this is better for you both and your doctor will do whatever they can do ensure a safe, healthy delivery! and easier said than done, but relax! good luck :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Babies born during or past 37 weeks should be born perfectly okay. Unless your in a special situation, don't stress, if the doctor thinks you should be induced give him a little trust :)

Just know that babies can survive outside of the womb (whether it be by machine or special treatment) after 25 weeks or so.
    Maybe not the healthiest baby, but at least you know your little one will be okay in the long run.
    ChelseATX

Answer by ChelseATX at 1:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Most babies born after 36 weeks do really well. Yes the shots should have helped. Just relax mama. You'll be holding that baby very soon. It's going to be ok you just need to stay positive and let your doctor help you. They are doing what is best for you and the baby. Hugs!!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I don't have any experience with this. I just wanted to say that as hard as it is, the stressing out can't help. God Bless you and your baby and Best of luck to you both!
    mamagood81

Answer by mamagood81 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011