Question about getting baby's ears pierced....

Do they use different size earrings to pierce a baby's ears? I mean, are the posts shorter? Because it seems like the posts on normal size piercing studs would be way too long. I might sound dumb but I am new at this. lol

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they pierce the babies ears with "piercing earrings" the end of the stud doesnt move. so its the same size-i got my daughters ears pierced when she was 5mths
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 12:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I had my daughters ears pierced at 2 months. The studs are a little longer than normal earrings that you wil buy later...this is to leave room for any possible swelling of the lobes after the initial piercing. They put rubber backs on the posts so that it wouldnt hurt her.
    I still use those rubber backs on her earrings,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I also think they use hypo-allergenic as well.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I suppose it depends on where you go. I will always recommend to anyone, of any age, to go to a licensed piercer that uses a needle rather then a gun, and when you go to a piercer, they use the captive bead style hoops (think of the style used for belly piercings). Body piercers also use surgical steel, which is great IMO as it is rarely rejected. Personally, I am not a fan of infant piercings, but regardless of that, PLEASE take your DD to a licensed piercer should you decide to go.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We have not gotten either of our girls ears pierced yet. We highly recommend going to a licensed piercer who has experience in piercing children ears. When getting ears pierced with a "gun" it is actually forcing a blunt end through the skin and also folding the skin into the piercing. Going to a piercing obviously uses a sharp hollow pointed needle therefore actually removing the little bit of skin in the process. There is higher infection risk using the "gun" and it doesn't heal as fast compared to using a needle. If you are going to get her ears pierced go to a experienced licensed professional.
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Why not let your child decide whether or not she wants to permanently alter her body?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2011