Potty training.

So my son is only 22 months and daily we've only been having poopy/wet diapers during nap and bedtime. We tried putting big boy underwear on him, but he just takes them off immediately. If we put a diaper on him, he leaves it on until it's time to go potty, then he'll take it off and say "potty" and head towards the bathroom. I'm wondering if we should even try pull ups or just continue with the diapers until he's ready for the big boy underwear. And I know how lucky I am that my son has started this early and is so interested in the potty. We don't push him and if he wants to go potty, then we're going to go sit with him. If he wants to go in his diaper then oh well, we have an early start. We're not aggressive with this at all, he just LOVES the potty. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Pregowithsecond

Asked by Pregowithsecond at 8:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I tried pull ups but Id rather do the diaper. She likes the diaper better and its too much money for the pull ups unless you can get to SAMS to get the big box of pull ups .
    Ashlynsmommy06

Answer by Ashlynsmommy06 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I suggest the pull ups, that way he can associate later on pull up pull down, with the same motion for the underwear. But also it can give him the sansation of the "diaper", that way he can continue with the next step.
    GOOD LUCK! =D
    jcampos

Answer by jcampos at 10:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Either stick with the diaper or let him run around bare-butt. The pullups feel like a diaper and actually seem to confuse my little girl - some times it's OK to pee in "panties" and sometimes it's not. I've been using them just at naptime but I'm thinking of going back to diapers for naps so she knows that if she has on anything like a panty, she needs to use the potty.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would suggest just staying with the diapers if he is using the potty. What i would suggest though is to buy actual underwear for him to wear. Just skip the pull ups for some it works great others it is just a whole in your pocket money wise. The reason I would say to go ahead and let him wear underwear is bc some kids are just going to think of pull ups as diapers that are harder to get off. lol With the underwear it will feel entirely diiferent and he does need to learn how to pull down and pull them up for when he is older. They seem to be easier to pull down then pull ups.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I tried regular underwear, but he doesn't like to keep them on. He'll just pull them down and run around the house naked. We did buy a small pack of pull ups just to try (when we go out mostly). I didn't realize how expensive they are! So far, so good.
    Pregowithsecond

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 9:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i think pull up might work but also try putting big boy undies over the diaper =D
    brittyboop

Answer by brittyboop at 10:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2008