How can I help my daughter with aggression towards other children?

My daughter shows aggression when other children are present. We can be anywhere: at home, school and the park. She is fine as long as other children are not around. I need some help trying to get pass this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm assuming she's an only child. She just needs more time with other children. When she shows aggression, make her sit out and watch them for a while. (One minute per year of her age.) Have her watch and see how well the others play together. Ask her if she wants to have fun like they are. Just let her know that her actions are not acceptable when she acts out. Does she go to nursery? Is maybe someone there treating her like she treats others? Check it out. My daughter was being abused my a sitter at 2 1/2 to 3. She didn't know how to tell me. Her actions alerted me about the same time I started seeing bruises. I KNEW my daughter wasn't as clumsy as the sitter said.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 12:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Honestly it depends what she is being aggressive about. If its the park, then you can stop her in her bad behavior and tell her we dont do that or act that way. If it happens again, we go home. She begins to understand that there are consequences to her actions. As for school, get on the same page with the teacher and let the teacher know that you are trying to curb this behavior on the home front. If and when the behavior rears its ugly head at school, she will have to face the consequences there as well. See what Im saying? Stop the behavior when you see it. Time out, go home from the park. Once she sees that the behavior only gets her a negative response, hopefully it will stop. All kids act out in some way or another, they are learning to share their planet with others at this age.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Does she attend any type of preschool? It sounds like she just needs time to learn how to play with and around other kids.

Find a great preschool...make sure the teacher knows your concerns and that this is the reason for her enrollment and let her go experience other kids :)

Sometimes parents just think their child will know how to behave around others...but more often than not....its a thing that is learned :) I have a degree in Early childhood development! :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 1:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• She goes to preschool and I am a child care provider. She is around children five days a week. I have tried time outs. I do know there is a boy at her school that beats her up and her teacher is trying to correct his behavior. We have been trying to get past this for over 6 months and nothing seems to be working.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Role play with her and explain being kind etc. Use some dolls too to make your point.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Also might want to get a few books about it. There are some cute ones.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• thank you
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011