Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Guinea Pig for 3 year old?

I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter that LOVES animals. I have been thinking about getting her a small pet (She's too young for the "responsibility" of the pet, so obviously thats my job lol) I had hamsters when I was younger, but I feel one would be too small for her. I have never owned a guinea pig before. Any advice would be great. ( I also have a 9 month old daughter. But I will be making sure she wouldnt be able to get close to the cage or guinea pig.)


---- We do have a small dog and a cat. So this wouldnt be our "1st" animal. But it would be "her" first.

Answer Question

Asked by BelloItaliano at 1:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pets

Level 7 (176 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • OK, lol, your post was me 3 years ago! When this one dies, we are soooo done. They stink. They have to be cleaned like every three to two days. It kicks shavings around. Really messy little thing. I love her, but I'm so tired of the cleaning. They aren't very friendly if they aren't handled daily as well.

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • How do you feel about rats as pets? They are NOT as dirty as some people think they are. They are just as clean as cats, being as they groom themselves all the time (when they're not They are less "nippy" than hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, etc and they are VERY smart. Just don't feed them through the wires of the cage or they will learn to bite anything that is inserted through the wires. This is usually the only time they will bite. They Love to be handled, but unless they are going to get a LOT of attention, they need to have a cagemate of the same sex. No matter what small animal you decide to get, do NOT put them on cedar or pine litter; it's very bad for their respiratory system (use aspen, shredded newspaper, or corn cob) and you will have to completely change out the litter at LEAST once a week or the will get stinky!

    Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • We had a guinea pig once. Bought her when she was a baby & she lived to be 6 1/2 years old til she died of old age. For 6 1/2 years we had to deal with that stinking mess, the cedar shavings, guinea pig urine smell in the house, and our pet was gentle, but most guinea pigs do bite, and their teeth are sharp like hamsters. They will bite the blood out of you. I would go for a kitten.

    Answer by Honda309 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • I think 3 is too young for a guinea pig. I have two of them and I change them every day.

    Answer by tasches at 7:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • If you really want a piggy google c&c cage. They really are not smelly if cared for right. The hay does tend to get everywhere though.

    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • You do have to change the cage, or it will begin to stink . That is true for about any living animal that I can think of really. If you have pets, you have already considered that I'm sure. I had a wonderful guinea pig when I was three to age eight. And later in life, high school years, I had two more. None of my guinea pigs ever bit me or my friends that I recall. They knew their names, and would come when I called them if I had them out of their pens. My dog worked in a special needs school with autistic children and they received a class guinea pig that they can all handle safely, which says a LOT.

    I think it is a very good first pet based on my guinea pig experiences.

    I did have a rat once too, saved it from a surgery in school that we were doing. He was way, way, way too smart for his own good!

    Answer by spottedpony at 10:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • I love my guinea pigs! The kids love them too. They are very sweet pets. They are tolerant of the kids, are nice lap pigs (they like their pats!), are friendly and reasonably intelligent little critters (they have figured out that treats come from the refridgerator and squeak whenever the door is opened, and the smarter of the two knows her name and a few basic words like 'no' and 'treat.') My youngest just turned four and she can handle them just fine with supervision. They do require a decent sized cage (most pet store cages are really too small!), a guinea pig pellet fortified with vitamin C, daily hay and fruit and veggie treats. I would really suggest getting a pair rather than a single pig... they are social animals are are usually happier with a friend. It also makes them more fun to watch- the interaction between our pigs is something the kids really enjoy! HTH a bit- good luck!

    Answer by Freela at 11:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • Yeah, I had two. One just died. Any chill or cold and they get respiratory infections really easy. You usually can't tell until it's too late. I have a sun conure, and three dogs as well, and I will tell you my guinea pig is indeed a smelly, stinky, messy animal. I agree with Freela though, those cages from the store are way to small. When we had the two, we built a habitat for them and I would be soaking wet from pee every day. It seems like the smell is always there. But poor Comet can't help it! lol

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:19 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • Musicmom, what kind of bedding are you using? I'm allergic to wood shavings and never found that they worked well anyhow... with our pigs we use Carefresh (it's a paper bedding, kind of looks/smells like brown paper towels) and I don't really get a lot of smell from it. Just tossing it out there in case you're using wood... I've always felt like my rodents stunk on wood shavings, plus the allergies... it's worth the money for paper shavings!

    Answer by Freela at 12:47 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

  • I highly suggest doing the fleece thing. I layer newspaper in the bottom of the cage put old towels on top of that than clip a large piece of fleece that covers the whole bottom of the cage and the sides. I vacuum it out once a day and than throw the towels and fleece in the washing machine once a week and replace the news paper. As long as you use enough layers of paper and towels it does not stink and the piggies love it.


    Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.