Do you insist that your child goes to college?

Or is it okay if they go to work after high school?

MamaWolf1981

Asked by MamaWolf1981 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I will insist. I think in todays world you can not get a job to support a family without a college education.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• They know I expect them to go to college, we talk about it all the time. But at 18 I can't force them to do anything, although they will have to work a full time job and pay rent to live at home if they choose not to go to college. I will support them emotionally, but I will not support them financially if they aren't going to school.

Answer by missanc at 1:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i would like my son to but it is also his choice on what he would want to do.... so if he would rather work then so be it.... it's his life i can only tell him what i would like him to do.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 1:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I will encourage them to go because I think that there is a lot more to college than increasing your earning potential, it broadens your world view and provides you with a lot of growth opportunities. However, I know it's not for everyone and wouldn't be heartbroken if they didn't go right away or at all.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would love if Aden goes to college. I wouldn't make him go right after high school - I know a LOT of people who dropped out because it turned out they really didn't like what they'd rushed into - but I would want him to think about it. I just don't want him to end up like me - I'm 22, I have NO clue what I want to do, and I honestly don't know if I ever will go to college at this point.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• No, we will not insist. If they have a desire to do something that they need a college education for, we will encourage them in the right direction. But when it comes down to it, we are not going to make them go and waste our money and theirs. DH went because his parent's insisted. He had no choice, he also didn't finish and we are still paying off the student loans. DH now has his own construction business, provides very well for us, without a college degree. I also do not think that everybody is ready to go to college right after high school. If my child does not know what they want to do, I'd rather they work for a few years and figure it out. If they think that they will go to college in the future then perhaps take some gen. eds in the meantime at the community college.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 1:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• at this point, my oldest being 10, they do not know that they even have a choice! they know that if they want to go to a school of their choice, they need to keep their grades up and get scholarships. or get football scholarships! there is not a job out there that cannot be done better without an education! :)
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 1:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would like my children to go to college and that is what we will all strive towards. But in the end it is their decision wether they want to go on to college or go out into the workforce. We will make sure they have everything they need to succeed at either one.
    Jwick

Answer by Jwick at 1:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I can't force him to do anything once he turns 18. That said, he knows I expect it, we never talk about him not going.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I will encourage my kids to, but not force. I have learned anytime you try to force, it usually goes the opposite direction.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011