Progesterone.

So i went to the doctor friday and had my first ultrasound and they said the baby had a very good heartbeat and everything looked good. And they took my blood. They called this morning and say my hcg levels are okay but my progesterone is very low. They gave my some pills called prometrium. I know that low progesterone can lead to eptopic pregnancy and miscarriages. Has anyone else had low progesterone and everything been ok? Have these pills worked for anyone?

Lhumphrey11

Asked by Lhumphrey11 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have actually taken Progesterone injections and suppositories when I did IVF. They worked for me & no side effects. I would go with what they told you to do. Better safe than sorry. GL
    Anonymous

• When I worked in a health food store we would give progesterone cream to women that were having trouble conceiving or staying pregnant or having trouble with hot flashes. It's a hormone that we make naturally but some of us become deficient in which isn't good. Please make sure you take what they have given you.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I did injections. But it did what it was supposed to do. Have four healthy kiddos thanks to progesterone supplements.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I took the progesterone shots while i was pregnant to try to prevent a premature labor and delivery. It didn't work. I still gave birth to a preemie. I don't have any experience with Prometrium.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• With my last pregnancy, I had to do the prometrium suppositories twice a day from 6-14 weeks. My level had dropped from 20 to 15 and since I had just come off of my second miscarriage, I did not argue. The only drawback was, sorry TMI, but there was a lot of discharge. I had to use pantyliners like crazy. BUT, my pregnancy proceeded normally, my son was born a happy, healthy 8 lbs 11 oz and 12 days past my due date! We are so very thankful that my doctor did not waste any time starting me on this medication. I am certain I would have lost this baby, too, had I not taken it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011