How much cereal should a 7 mo. old be eating?

My LO is still nursing about 8 times a day and eating cereal with fruit or veggies 3 times a day. She seems to suddenly be scarfing down like 4 tbsp a sitting! Just want to know what would be about normal? I want to make sure I am feeding her enough actually (because I was thinking 2 tbsp a sitting). We started cereal at 4 mo. I was surprised that she only gained a little less than 2 lb between then and 6 mo. She is now only up to 16 lbs. The doctor said she probably leveled out a little because she is so active right now.

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe someone else has an idea of what they "should" be eating. I never fed more than 1/4 cup twice/day of cereal, the rest was all fruits/veggies. A lot of people will tell you that cereal is not needed, but I am iron deficient as all of my children have been and as babies, that was the best source of iron since I breastfed. Cereal is not as important for bottle fed babies since they get iron in the formula.

Answer by missanc at 1:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Truthfully, you don't need ANY cereal. Before 12 mos of age, the main source of nutrients and calories is breast milk or formula, so you CAN'T be giving too little solids. As long as you're always nursing right before solids, just follow her lead on the solids. I suspect the reason for the slower gain is because cereal and baby food contain LESS calories per ounce then breast milk, or formula. This is why I NEVER understand people whose doctors push solids, especially at an early age, and especially for the purpose of gaining weight. Yes, her being more active will also contribute to slower gain, and typically BF babies DO slow down their gain in the second half of the first year.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Oh, and just to clarify, I'm in no way saying that cereal is bad, or you shouldn't give it, or bashing you for giving it in the first place. It's not necessary, it's up to you whether or not you choose to use it. In the case of the first poster, I can understand why she used it, and I did the same thing when my oldest's iron levels were a bit low. I didn't see the need for a vitamin supplement, at least not until I tried changing her diet first. I will tell you though, and anyone concerned about their child's iron levels, request a blood draw. Often times the finger or heel sticks can be inaccurate, and show low levels when the iron is fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• No cereal needed, really. The nursing is her important meal... the solids are an extra. Whatever you give is "enough." There's no such thing as too little solids, but there is a such thing as too many. Solids follow nursing; whatever baby takes in them is fine.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• BTW... solids do slow gain; they don't have as many calories as your milk. Activity levels will also make a difference. Your gain target is an average on 1 lb/month... you look for double birthweight by six months, triple by one year.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Then how do I slowly wean her? As far as weight gain....at 6 mo. she was still 2 lbs from doubling her birth weight.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I didn't really start weaning mine until a year with my first, slightly earlier with the subsequent one. Once they started solids until they were a year, they ate "meals" (solids and breastmilk) 3 times/day, and then "snacks" of breastmilk 3 additional times/day. But your child may need more or less depending on their caloric needs. Nursing/bottles will remain their main source of nutrition for the entire first year. When I weaned, I dropped one nursing/day and replaced it with a snack (1/2 banana, crackers and milk, etc.) or milk/water with their meal.

Answer by missanc at 2:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My dd is 8 months old and she eats just under 1/4c of cereal and an 8 oz bottle for breakfast. Lunch she gets as1/2 of a small jar of veggies and 1/2 small jar of fruit and an 8 oz bottle. Supper it is the same as lunch and then she get an 8oz bottle just before bed(9pm).
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 4:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Cereal is unnecessary; your child should be eating mashed bits of the same healthy foods that you eat

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011