how can you tell if your kid is hiding?

how can you tell if your child was hide something serious.
i have found the photo's of me and my girls in my youngest room all cut up or her face scratched out and paintings of a knife in a young girl, she has only been like this since she has been staying with her uncle at weekends.

bb_mum

Asked by bb_mum at 1:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Well I think in your case..that is a loud call for help there..or shes been watching too many scary movies.
    My son...I know he's hiding somethign because he can't keep a straight face ..I have him convinces I'm a mind reader,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would be pretty worried if i were you, that isnt something like drawing sunshines and rainbows, this sounds pretty serious. First you need to sit down with her and say you can tell mommy anything and she will be happy that you tell her the truth. If you cant seem to get her to talk then i would suggest a child's therapist and i would right now as of this moment do not let her go to her uncles again until you figure out whats going on. Just make excuses for now saying oh we love to have the whole family together on weekends or something or other, just dont acuse him yet, but defintely do some digging
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 1:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would say something seriously is not right. i agree; do not let her go back to her uncles. try to talk to her, reassure her that everything will be ok but you need to know the truth, ask her why she paints those pictures and destroys the photos, ask her what it means and why she feels that way.
    Kelly1126

Answer by Kelly1126 at 3:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• talk to her and get her help real soon.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I don't think you have to guess on this one. You know there is definitely something that she is not telling you. No more weekends with the uncle from now on. She might benefit from a visit with her pediatrician, someone she might trust to talk to who is not in the family exactly. If not the pediatrician, then you should find a good psychologist for her to talk to and get this sorted out as soon as possible.

The person who hurt her has threatened her perhaps, maybe the knife drawing was a hint, so she might be truly terrified to talk to you.

You need to keep reminding her that anything that happened is not her fault because she is just the child and then reassure her that everyone will be safe, even if she tells a secret that she was told to keep.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011