"punishing" 10 mo???

My issue is my 10 month monkey daughter. She refuses to stay sitting while in her highchair. Buckled or not she can escape. Anyone have any solutions? We yell "no" and she just laughs! lol

Other issue is, when she is sitting in the highchair, anything she doesnt want she throws of the side onto the floor. How do you teach a baby no? Today I smacked her hand and she gave me a pouty lip.. then went back to throwing food. What is a good "punishment"? I usually just immediately take her out and put her on the floor. I try not to hold her after she acts like a turd. I don't think she's getting the point though.

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 1:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 5 point harness for the highchair

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• For food throwing..I immediatley take the food away..say food is NOT FOR THE FLOOR.And turn my back and don't even look at her.After a few moments, say DO YOU WANT YOUR FOOD BACK? IT IS FOR YOUR MOUTH.Then give a little.
    As for the climbing out of the highchair..I have no good advice...I just gave up and got a booster seat and let her sit at "the big people table" My daughter will sit in that...
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You need a harness for the high chair, absolutely. And throwing food means she goes without for five minutes.

I would take throwing as a sign that she's no longer hungry and would stop trying to feed her.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• When my son starts the food throwing i take it away and he loses his "independent" moment, i start to feed him and then i will offer it and if he throws again its gone and he is usually done eating at that point. As for the high chair, i would either get a harness or if she gets out i would put her down but refuse to keep feeding her (i know that sounds bad, but im not saying starve your child) But she will start to associating sitting in her high chair and eating. Whenever my son starts climbing out I allow him to get down but then he tries to climb in my lap and eat and i say no, after about twice i put him back in his high chair and then offer him his food. He got it after awhile.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 1:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my son is 10 months and he chucks anything that he doesn't want from the highchair onto the floor so i feel your pain! my pedi told me that you have to pick a word or sound that means business, if you use "no" regularly around the house for just things that are mildly not okay, you need a word that means that is totally off limits back away..so they no the difference. We use STOP..it seemed to work better then the just typical no. If he throws food i say STOP he gets one warning and if he throws it again i take him out and go back in a half hour when hes forgotten and we try again.

PS the laughing is okay too! it is her way of trying to make you happy again. My son does that alot, i got an email from babycenter that said that is perfectly normal, when something unaccpected happens babies think it is funny, or when you change your tone and get mad they don't know why and they try and make you happy again!
    dmdemes

Answer by dmdemes at 2:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• hey, you person calling this mom 'pathetic'. no wonder you are anonymous, how rude and completely uncalled for! this person is asking for advice, not to be scolded and called names, or made to feel bad. its not like she is beating the child, so back off. please.
    LadyEmrys

Answer by LadyEmrys at 2:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My son does the "windshield wiper" when he is done eating. The longer the meal goes on, I start to remove some of the food so when he wipes it away, there is less mess. At this age, they are still learning and don't have any where near the full concept of proper table manners, so lay some newspaper down under the chair and try to roll with it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 2:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• First off you don't punish a 10 month old. She is learning to feed herself, of course food is going to get everywhere. When she starts doing it, you take the food away. When she settles down you offer her the food again. If she continues to throw it everywhere and play with then it means she is done and not interested.
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I put the word punish in quotes becasue I don't men actually punishing her. I asked for advice. My 3 yo daughter is fine and not once beat or even PUNISHED. Why do you mothers insist on judging one another. Absolute bullshit. Go suck a fat one. As for the moms who actually DID give helpful advic, thank you. Going to get a 5-point booster. We have an older wooden highchair right now. I couldn't figure out why I didn't remember ever having thestanding issue with my older daughter, it came to me that she had a 5 point on her newer highchair. Duuuurr. haha thanks again to you mothers who except my being imperfect and asking for advice. :)
    mommacierra

Comment by mommacierra (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011