Getting my son a new carseat, advice please.

So my son is 14 mos currently. I need to get him a new carseat, because I am going to give the one I have to my mom, for her car, and I would like one in my car that can last passed 35 lbs. But ideally how long should a baby be in a regular carseat/ I saw some with weight limits as high as 65...um thats like a 5-7 yr old depending on weight and height right? So a 5-7 year old in a a big ol carseat? lol I could only imagine him wanting a friend to ocme over and he has to hop in the boat of a carseat lol

So ideally how long should a kid be in a car seat, so I can est weight limits, and then when should they move to a booster type of seat?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 1:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• Convertible seats that *I* recommend are the Complete Air 65, as the poster before me suggested, the Graco MyRide 65, First Years True Fit.
    Combination seats that *I* recommend are the Graco Nautilus and Britax Frontier 85. Though I believe the Frontier is above the amount you would like to spend.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• we love our convertible, its wonderful for my son! But im going to warn you! We had to buy like 4 seats and return them because now carseat makers are designing them for certain cars. We didnt realize this until we kept buying them but they wouldnt fit in our car properly, we even had a pro look at it and he said it wasnt made for our kinda car( and ours is 2002!) So before you a seat, look up what the maker you want to get and it will tell you what carseat will be good with your car. We had so many problems trying to save you some trouble!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• AAP recommendations are to rearface to the limit of the convertible carseat (usually between 35 and 40 lbs). A child needs to be harnessed forward facing until school age (kindergarten or first grade for most kids, a bare minimum of 40lbs and 4 years), and boostered until they are they are 4'9" and 8-12 years old.

I would recommend the Complete Air. It is $134 with the 25% off coupon and will last the longest. It has a 40 lb rearfacing limit (I would recommend rearfacing to a minimum of 2 years, but even longer if possible), and 65 lb ff limit. The harness heights are 18" which is the highest of any convertible seat.

jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 2:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I asked this question recently!  I'll give you the info I received!  For starters, your state has laws about how old can be before he or she rides in a seat without a carseat.  I also got great advice on getting a convertible carseat.  They grow with your child and I have found a HUGE amount of carseats at places like Target, Walmart, etc where they are the only carseats you'll ever need. The packages that the carseats come in will tell  you the weight limits, every carseat is different.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• so convertible may be the way to go...I am going to check babies r us, they are having a 25% off trade in sell so I am taking full advantage
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Definitely get a convertible car seat. My 15 month old is in a Britax Marathon. Some car seats do go up to 65 pounds but they normally grow out of them height wise before weight. After they grow out of a convertible car seat, they go to a booster seat. The minimum age and weight for a booster is 4 year old AND 40 pounds. A child younger than that and who weighs less should not be in a booster seat. Most state laws for booster seats says that the child needs to be 8 years old, weigh 80 pounds and they need to be 4'9" before they can ride in a vehicle with just the seat belt and no safety seat.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Tell me your budget, your child's stats (weight/height), is your child RF or FF, and if RF, how long would you like to continue to RF? How long would you like to harness?
    LEGALLY, you can turn your child forward facing at 12 mos AND 20 lbs. LEGALLY, you can booster at 4 yrs AND 40 lbs. Both of those are minimums though, and I, as well as the AAP, and child safety advocates, recommend you continue past the minimums. For example, my son, 3 yrs old and about 27-28 lbs, still rides rear facing. The seat I have allows for RF until 40 lbs, and I plan to keep him RF until at least 4 yrs old, possibly to 40 lbs. My daughter is 5 and 42ish lbs. Her seat allows for FF harnessing up to 65 lbs. I will keep her in the harness until she outgrows the harness, and then she will ride in a high back booster seat until the adult seat belt fits her properly.

I would only recommend a convertible seat if you are RF and wish to continue
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If your child is FF, and you have no interest in turning him back RF (it is SO much safer), a convertible seat isn't needed. You will want to look for a combination seat, most likely. A combination seat is FF only, and generally has a 5 point harness that will harness your child up to anywhere from 40 lbs to 85 lbs, depending on the seat, and allows for the harness to be removed, and is then used as a high back, belt positioning booster to be used with the adult seat belt.

I hope the information I've provided is helpful to you, and as I stated, if you answer the questions I've asked, I can help you find a seat that fits your needs. Also, although I am not a CPST, feel free to ask me any additional questions, and I will answer them to the best of my ability, and if I CAN'T answer them, I'll help you find the right answer :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My son is currently 32inches and last we weighed him he was 25lbs, just under actually. I would like the budget to be around 100, I can do more because the discount is 25% off until feb 21st, so maybe at regular price about 175 or so, maybe 150.

the law here is child must be in a booster until 6 or 60 lbs, Forward facing until 40lbs in a carseat, rearfacing until 1 and 20lbs. which I guess is what explains all of the high weight limits
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• oh yes and I heard that the law changed a bit here as well, that booster until 8 or 80, but I havent really researched that at all
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011