Breastfeeding

My son is two but i cant help but be curious (i saw another breastfeeding question lol), so far i have stumped everyone. Everytime i had breastfed my son i would get a fever of 102-104. I thought i was sick the first time but then i realized it happened everytime. It was a typical fever too, thats how i caught it, the achy crappy feeling with a fever, my cheeks got flushed, the hot and cold. It was so weird. I asked my sons peditrican and my ObGyn and they both looked at me like i was a crazy person. LOL, anyone have this? Any idea what this was? Sooo weird...im just curious

Bobbysgurl

Asked by Bobbysgurl at 1:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• wish i could help but i've never heard of it. BUt my son is 7 1/2 months and when he cries my blood pressure goes up and i get really hot and my face gets flsuhed and the whole shebang... i thought it was only a reaction when they're little cuz you're body's reacting to it but it hasn't stopped yet... lol
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 1:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• well this is a new one. have you been checked for mastitis? a plugged milk duct? those can casue fevers. If you've been physically checked by a lactation consultant, then i would be left with the thought that it's how your body reacts to the release of your milk ducts. I used to get warm, then extremely sleepy. Making and releasing milk does take more energy in our bodies, and raises our body temperatures naturally.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I dont know, the hospital never gave me a lactation consultant..and i finally asked why i didnt get to see one the day i was going home and they said, oh well you never asked we figured you didnt need one..lovely. I know what to do with the next baby! Its probably just something my body did in response, but its funny how many people i stumped! I have my friend convinced i was lying until i invited her over and she took my temp when i breastfed lol, she knew i wasnt lying then.
    Bobbysgurl

Comment by Bobbysgurl (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• This happened with all feedings? Typically a fever is associated with mastitis or plugged ducts.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• yep every feeding
    Bobbysgurl

Comment by Bobbysgurl (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• This is quite interesting. Have you asked an IBCLC? Try calling one, or try calling a local LLL Leader. Maybe they can offer some information.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2011