Help??

I'm going to ask my SO to marry me because he is taking his sweet time. We have been together for 2 yrs and have 2 kids.

My question is. I found a ring that I like but its not a wedding band its a Promise ring. I like it better then any of the rngs I have looked at. Would it tacky if I got it and wore it for my ring instead of a Engagment ring/wedding ring.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Relationships

• Do whatever you want! I have a promise ring and I wear it just as if it were an engagement ring. I got it for $20 on Overstock.com and I couldn't be any happier with it. If it has special meaning to YOU, that's all that matters =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Not tacky at all. Just a creative idea. I wonder if he would possibly buy it for you? It might make him feel "in charge" or "doing the giving" or something. Good luck with this and I hope it all works out.

Answer by Bmat at 9:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Have the two of you talked about marriage? Is he open to the idea? He's already got the family, so please go about it in a non ultimatum way because if he says no, it's going to hurt your pride, and wound your heart so be prepared for that but I hope he says YES to you :)
    Good Luck! As for ring.... it's the ring you're hoping to wear forever, so I say it doesn't matter if it's a "traditional" one or not, just as long as you like it. I've replaced mine (original is in the jewelry box, doesn't fit and was what fit my taste at that time).
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my only concern is do you and your so have good comunications? I think you need to talk it over and find out what his fears are. Does he have any and what does he want from this relationship. It should be honest without arguement. Hope it turns out well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Ok yes we have talked about it. I wouldnt do it if i thought he was going to be weird about it. I just wanted to know if it wastupid to get that ring because I really like it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I don't think it would be tacky or stupid. What counts is the way you see it, not the label the store puts on it. My hubby was so sweet when I told him I didn't want a diamond, he got a family heirloom amethyst from his mom and had it re-set. It is a gorgeous deep purple and people notice it all the time. I guess my point is sometimes being unique sets you apart and makes you a trendsetter. GL!!! :D

evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:43 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• A couple of months after me and my SO met he bought me a promise ring and it was beautiful.It meant a lot to me although it wasn't an actual engagement ring.We made plans to get married but have decided to wait, but I wear my ring everyday, so no it wouldn't be tacky at all.
    Sarah0306

Answer by Sarah0306 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• It's YOUR ring! Get the one YOU like!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2008