Am I the only one that dreads picking my kids up from school?

So...I am sitting here waiting until the last possible minute to go pick them up from school. I like to be the last car in line. There is a reason for this. My kiddos are so badly behaved that the principal waits outside with them until they are seated in the car and buckled. Sometimes this takes up to ten minutes. So instead of holding up the line...I just try to be last. It is embarrassing. My kiddos know that if they do this, then they lose the computer for 24 hours. Which is there favorite thing to do. I would ground them from it for longer but they already almost never get to use it because they do this behavior almost every time I pick them up! They have been kicked off the bus twice already this year. *pulls hair out* It is not my discipline. We are in family counseling and they come to our house 12 hours a week. They don't know how to help us at this point because they say we are doing everything they would suggest to a family with out of control kids. I am lost.

ashisamom

Asked by ashisamom at 2:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That is a lot to handle, I would be last in line too...or sending a taxi for them...lol.

What if you had a fun activity waiting in the car for them, perhaps the first one in and buckled up gets the activity, which is some simple car game or activity book complete with stickers?

Or, what if you visit the dollar store, grab a bunch of cheap toys and put them in a brown paper bag. Tell them as soon as they are buckled in they get to reach in and pull out a prize, only if they get in the car and buckle up right away. Any delays, and they lose the chance at the grab bag prize. You can vary the toys from week to week...temp. tattoos, stickers, small candies, plastic dollar store toys, etc..

Just an idea to help make parent pick up lane a little less stressful perhaps!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• holy crap lady i wish i could help. mine arent even in school yet but i feel for you. good luck!
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 2:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I dread it because we have a crappy car and it's cut off a couple times already while waiting in the carpool lane. Talk about embarrassing!
    Anonymous

• wow..i am usually in the first 15 cars lined up (of about 150)..i can't wait to see my ds after being alone all day. i love to hear about his day, whether it was good or not-so-good! i miss him while he's at school!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Maybe ADD?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I can see your not wanting to pick them up....sorry :( sounds like you are on a good road getting them help!!! Lots of parents refuse to see their own childs problem.

My dd has aspergers so I know it can be embarrassing when they act up. No one really understands until you have been there.

My son on the other hand is a star student....I cant wait to pick him up and see his days success. He always brings home wonderful grades and papers! Prizes from the prize box :)

so I am on both sides
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm sorry. I wish I could give you some advice.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 2:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I was going to suggest the same thing as mompam, sometimes it shows itself in different ways. How is their behavior while in school?
    Have you ever had them tested for ADD or ADHD? I'm not saying that so you can medicate them, it's just that now some cases are not diagnosed because of the over diagnosis in school. It's worth checking out. Good Luck and Brightest Blessings.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My 6yo is bipolar and is medicated...has been for 6 months. Before this she would punch and hit me when I picked her up. My 7yo has all the symptoms of ADHD and has an appointment next week. She has been on the waiting list for 7 month once I get them home it is a fight to get homework done. Then life is good after that. Typing on my phone. Dont mind errors. I am waiting in line...third from the end of line todays.
    ashisamom

Comment by ashisamom (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011