Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a grown adult access their old CPS records?

trying to help a friend piece together some missing info from her past. I wouldn't let her move in with us (she has suffered drug problems in the past and I don't trust that disease enough to be around my kids) but when she got out of rehab we helped her get settled into a boarding house. This morning I went with her to apply for food stamps and other services and they asked her a standard question "have you ever applied for county services before?" she said no (which I know to be true. Before drugs she had a nice home, job, etc) Shockingly her SSN # popped up from when she was a minor. Like, small child. She received state medical care when she was removed from her parents care for a brief time. That is all the info the worker was able to say. She's lived in the same county most of her life but what kind of office should she call? Her boarding house has no internet and I don't want her in my house using the computer but I am trying to get some basic info and phone #s compiled for her. Ideas?

Answer Question

Asked by hibbingmom at 2:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Relationships

Level 35 (71,876 Credits)
Answers (2)
  • She just needs to call the county CPS office and talk to them. They may or may not be able to give her information.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

  • yes, the county where the case started is where she will need ot begin. My SO grew out of foster care and he is now trying to access his old records. He had to go thru 4 counties to finally find the starting one. It is a long process because now as an adult accessing her records is no ones priority, it is just extra stuff they need to do, so you have to stay on top of them, like a hawk.

    Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.