eczema, what it's the real cause?

I was curious, because my brother in law has a 2 yr old and she has eczema all over her. Poor child, she touches her face and she starts bleeding, it's covered all over her face and chest and arms. She doesn't really take good care of her, and I hadn't seen an eczema case where they would even bleed. How far the problem you think it is? I can't really say much, because his wife can't stand me. Is it contagious? The reason I also ask is because my son loves to play with her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Health

• No, it's not contagious. And it CAN be that bad. My cousin had it when he was a child, that bad. Now his son has it, horribly. Well it use to be this bad, but he is 7 now and outgrowing it some. They took him to urgent care a few times because it got so bad, bleeding and hurting him. It dosen't mean they are neglecting the condition. He just has a severe case of it. He should outgrow it, but could have allergies and asthma later in life. But you have nothing to worry about with your child. It's in no way contagious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My son had it ...but thankfully grew out of it! this is a great article on causes and cures. good luck!

http://www.drgreene.com/21_647.html

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• It is not contagious and two of my 4 boys have it. It gets bad enough to bleed and I DO take care of it! I have it myself, so I have 28 years of experience with it and it still gets really bad. Cold weather, artificial heat (dries the air out) and chemical irritants can make it worse. I use color free/ fragrent free detergent and softener on their laundry and with their bath soap. You can't over bathe (3 times a week is enough) or it dries the skin out. You have to moisturize constantly. It is often allergy related as well. I know it looks awful and you probably have bias because you and the mother don't get along. But as a mother who is doing everything possible to take care of it, I hope people aren't judging me too harshly! This is just a really bad time of year for it and kids can have it all year round. I hope you can find a nice way to help the mom find some better ways to take care of the eczema!
    Mom_2_Boyz

Answer by Mom_2_Boyz at 11:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• It's not contageous. It's a skin sensitivity. People with eczema have a highly likelihood to be diagnosed with asthma later in life than people without. She should have some medicated cream for that poor girl...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• One thing I have found out that works wonders on eczema is flax seed oil. You can mix it into food or smoothies for them everyday and it works wonders. You might mention it to them if they aren't already doing it. You can even get peanut butter that has it mixed in. Especially if she has it that bad I would mention it, what could it hurt and it could save the poor baby some pain.
    mommacat

Answer by mommacat at 12:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008