Was I rude?

My husband and I have 4 kids under 6 and we were finally able to go on a date night. While we were heading into the resturant my husbands parents were heading out. We said hi breifly and sat down to wait for our table. They followed us and started chatting with us. After about 5 mins of this I said we dont get to get out without the kids very often we would like our our privacy please. And my mil called me the next day and chewed me out and said I was rude to her.

motherwanting6

Asked by motherwanting6 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• You shouldn't have had to say that, they know the ages of your children and how hard it was for you to get away. Clearly you were on a date and when you run into ANYONE while they are on a date, it's brief hellos and then let the couple be alone. I would tell her that you wouldn't have had to say anything if they had some tact
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 8:47 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• If they were on their way out, chances are that weren't going to stay. I would have to say from what you stated you were a little rude.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It was rude. If you were waiting for a table of two..when your table was ready it would have been easy to say "Our tables ready, talk to you soon" and get up to go to your table. They had already eaten. Was the few minutes really worth all the drama?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• no, she was rude. as long as you said it in a nice tone, you are fine, she just doesnt like that she was wrong and you didnt want her there - feeling rejected sucks... but you are right... she should be smart enough, or have mannors enough for you not to NEED to tell her something so obvious.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• LOL...wellllllll....maybe a little..but you had every right. They werent taking into your time alone into consideration. Time alone and dates alone with hubby when you have little kids is sacred.I dont think I could have told my mil to get lost tho...but I would have wanted to in that case.Eh, don't worry about it, she'll get over it.
    So..did you guys have a good time?? :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It was rude.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• No it wasn't. And your husband should back you up on that. Your inlaws should understand. Granted it was a blatant statement but I dont' feel it was rude to tell your inlaws that you and hubby wanted time alone, they should respect that
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It was rude. It's normal to feel that way, but rude to actually say it. You could have found a more diplomatic way to disengage from the conversation.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Not rude, just unexpected to her.. It's totally understandable that you felt that way but you just caught her of guard!! Don't worry I am sure she'll live!
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It wasn't rude - your MIL should have been more understanding. Sorry she chewed you out, it was she that was rude. She should have said hello and then excused herself.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011