Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know your child has add or adhd?

Answer Question

Asked by mamajojo at 10:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • psych evaluation

    Answer by MommasCooCoo at 10:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • He would have to be evaluated by a professional: a psychologist, a psychiatrist, a neuro-psychologist, a developmental pediatrician, etc.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • The PP is correct. Some pediatricians will diagnose ADHD, but that is a key factor in the over diagnosis of the disorder. A full evaluation by a psychologist is the only way to get an accurate diagnosis. They will observe the child, perform behavioral tests, and have adults (including you) who work closely with the child fill out questionnaires about the child's behavior.


    Answer by MAUREEN55 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • You can start the process with the use of a rating scale (I believe it might be called the Connor Rating Scale) and it consists of questions relating to observed behavior. With my son, the school counselor provided it and it was comleted by me and the teacher. That is just the starting point, though. If you see the behavior you have the evaluation done by a qualified psychologist. There is a lot of help out there for ADHD and many kids benefit greatly, so try not to be too worried about it.

    Answer by BJoan at 1:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

  • I have two children. One with ADHD and the other with ADD. The difference between the two that I see is this: My daughter, with ADD, does not have any problems with sitting still reading or watching a television show or even in class but her mind wanders and she daydreams. My son, with ADHD, constantly fidgets and has trouble sitting for any length of time. He is always on the go. ADD is more of just a focusing problem while ADHD is a focusing problem along with problems being still. There always has to be some type of movement involved.

    Answer by momo5406 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.