Can I take Ambien while pregnant?

I know that Ambien is a non-benzodiazepine which is good since you can't take things like Xanax while pregnant, but I won't have my first doctor's appt. until Feb 10th, and I really can't sleep without Ambien. Does anyone have any information?

Rakkoma

Asked by Rakkoma at 2:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I've been prescribed Ambien while pregnant and so was my SIL, but some drs have different rules so I would call and ask yours.

Answer by missanc at 2:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Ambien has not been studied with pregnant women. I would abstain from taking it until the 10th.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 2:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I wouldn't chance it. You can always call your doc and ask, but dont' take it untill you get an OK from him
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I know three different women who were all prescribed ambien by three different doctors while pregnant. BUT I think it is kind of a case-by-case basis, and I would also wait until my first appointment, or try calling the office to find out what they have to say about it.

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I was just in L&D for early labor right before new years and after the muscle relaxers that they gave me to stop the contractions, they gave me ambien to help me sleep. HOWEVER, some things are safe in certain stages of the pregnancy and not in others. If you can't wait til your apt., I would call and ask. Good Luck! :)
    mamagood81

Answer by mamagood81 at 3:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• They gave me Ambien in L&D also to help sleep. I hallucinated terribly from it. I agree with mamagood81. Call your OBGYN before you take anything.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If you can't get in to the doctor, try calling and ask over the phone. If you're unsure, I would try to not take it for now. Benadryl is a safe alternative, though not as effective as Ambien.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:44 PM on Feb. 1, 2011