My 7 month old hasnt had a solid bowel movement yet!! What should I do?

Latrece757

Asked by Latrece757 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• change his diet. to much apples/apple juice/water will give him soft stools. If he is eating solids, try more greens like broc/aspargus/green beans. Chicken is good also. Still, always consult your doc just in case.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• is he eating table food yet? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 10:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• NOTHING! Babies don't start having "solid" bm's until they are around potty-training age. Think about it: a 7 m/o lives on a liquid diet like breast milk or formula so they should not be having solid bowel movements.
    stefanierios

Answer by stefanierios at 12:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• What exactly do you mean?

He seems to be constipated and won't go? Then change his diet to remove the foods that can plug up the works.

His poop isn't formed like yours but is still soft and mushy? Wait another year (or two).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Well, certainly talk to your doctor about it, but it is probably okay based on what he eats/drinks as long as he is not in pain or having difficulty!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 1:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If baby is breastfed, no worries! Breast Milk is a natural laxative.
    If baby is formula fed, stool should be soft and mushy.

Also, 7 months is a great time to introduce solids if you have not already, and may assist in the forming of more "solid" bowel movements. My 6 month old gets 1 jar of veggies every night with her dinner bottle.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• no biggie. The texture /consistancy of the stool will depend on the diet. The more soft foods and liquids, the softer the stools.
    Anonymous

• Don't worry about it as long as it's not Liquid like diarreah, it's okay! Baby food is not solid and will not produce solid BM's. The more solid his diet is, the more solid his BM's will be. make sure he is not getting too much fruit or fruit juice. It sounds like he is pretty NORMAL to me.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• What is "solid"??

7 months seems pretty young for solid, brown poops, in my opinion.. I don't think my oldest got those until she was closer to 1 1/2..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 6:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2008