How Many times can I wash my dog a week?

I have a puggle, (pug/beagle mix) I bathed him on Tues and now he feels like he needs another bath. His fur feels oily and rough to the touch. I had a German Shepperd the last time and you couldn't bath him more than once a month if that. He had awful dry skin. My puggle doesn't seem like he has dry skin with as many times as I bath him.

mom3cutieboyz

Asked by mom3cutieboyz at 10:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pets

• Washing your dog that often can strip the natural oils from his skin and cause issues. That is too much. However each animal is different. I think the general rule is once a month for baths, BUT if your pet has a certain condition that you are concerned about, ask your vet. Whats right for my pet, may not be right for yours.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• I use to bathe my dog once a week and she started getting really dry skin and dry scalp/skin so the vet told me that you're only suppouse to bathe a dog once every 2 weeks so they wont get dry itchy scalp/skin.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 10:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Maybe try another kind of shampoo for the oily coat. Perhaps ask the vet.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would ask a groomer, I think your really only supposed to bathe dogs like twice a year because their natural oils keep their coats healthy. Just call a groomer and they can tell you
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You should ask the VET.

Dogs have a natural oil in their skin and if you keep washing them..it can be uncomfy for the pup!

It can even lead to hot spots and those take FOREVER,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i have a boston terrier. so hes good with a baby wipe wipe down every once in a while. but my vet told me because of the oils in dogs skin to wash them once every month or two. no more. he said its good to wipe them off with wipes or wash cloth thats damp but full bath is a no good every week. and if you take them to pet smart when they shampoo your dog they put this spray for ticks and fleas ect on them thats not suppose to be washed off for a month or so. . so there also is not washing your dog every week
    anothergage

Answer by anothergage at 3:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• a dog should not be bath more then 1 every 2 to 3 weeks. over bathing them strips the skin and coat from natural moisture that only comes from the coat
    bobbys4eva

Answer by bobbys4eva at 6:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have dogs, and I feel they still smell after we bathe them...but I am not sure how many times they can be bathed though
    reality-5

Answer by reality-5 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Washing them too much will dry their skin out and that causes other issues. Groomer and vet will have the best solutions for you.
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 11:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I have an American Eskimo...they don't have the dog smell. So she only gets a bath when she rolls in something nasty or gets muddy...but my friend is a vet and said dogs at the most should be bathed once every 6-8 weeks. She said most people wash their dogs tooo much. It should be only when they are really dirty. Not just to smell pretty...they are dogs! I am glad my dog doesn't have that doggy smell...hehehe.
    stephanie.rose

Answer by stephanie.rose at 1:52 AM on Nov. 16, 2008