I want to lose weight but DO NOT want to count my calories and go all hard core!! Anyone lose weight by just working out and eating whatever?

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Counting calories makes my head hurt. I DO lose weight and get fit just by working out - and I eat whatever the hell I want. I don't eat massive quantities, though sometimes I do tend to uh... pig out once in awhile. I eat a fair bit of fast food and pizza... and not the healthiest food at home either. I gain weight when I stop working out - very quickly - but it comes off fairly easily when I start again. So it is possible... buuuuuuut I do have a pretty kick-ass metabolism, so while I'm still young, I can get away with it. It gets harder as I get older - when I was 19 after I had my son it came off easier, now I'm 22 and it's slightly harder.
    Really you just have to find what works for you.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Just because you excersise regularly does NOT mean you can eat whatever you want in high quantities. I do excersise and I do eat what I want, but I do it in moderation. I've never counted calories. But it also depends on your own metabolism as well. Building up lean muscle helps as lean muscle burns fat. Also when you build up lean muscle then your body tends to crave healthier foods. For me excersising mean that I could have my binge moments and not worry lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Define "whatever" I can lose weight fairly easily by just cutting out junk foods and snacking on fruit/veggies instead, but it depends on the person. You don't have to count calories, but generally you do need to make smart simple changes to your diet to see big changes on the scale.

Answer by missanc at 3:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Go by this rule, calories in calories out, if you eat in excess you must burn them out with exercise in excess.

Answer by older at 3:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You don't have to count calories or go on an extreme diet if you can do some simple things like forgoing (or cutting back on) junk foods, sugars, fats, etc. You can make adjustments to your diet without going on a diet, if you know what I mean.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I lost 30 pounds in 2 months by working out 5 days a week (3 cardio, 2 strength) and making the better choice. I never counted calories or denied myself anything but I would be self conscious enough to make good choices for instance if I could have baked sweet potato or french fries. Water or soda. Wheat bread or white bread. Etc. Results will be a motivator. Get through a week or two and see what you have accompished. That's the worst part is getting over the adjustment period. Once you see results, you will keep going. If you slack off, getting started again is the only hard part. Just remember the results and how much it's worth to you to lose the weight. Every time I see someone with a great body, it pushes me that much harder during my workout. Good luck!
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 3:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Unfortunately the rule is 80/20...meaning 80% is what you eat and 20% is exercise
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Nope, the only way I've ever had luck loosing weight was by exercising a lot and... well... kind of becoming obsessive about nutrition. I know myself - I have to focus hard on eating right and exercising or I'll eat too much and negate any effect of exercise. The good thing is that once I reach my goal, the healthy habits are more natural to me so easier to maintain...

But I can drop a few pounds by focusing on eating more fresh fruits and veggies (aim for 7-9 servings per day) and drinking more water (a big glass before each meal/snack).
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I am just watching what and how much I eat. I haven't even exercised since November( i know, I need to get back into it)
    I've lost 7 lbs in a month. It's doable just don't expect to lose a huge amount of weight. You can lose more if you exercise though
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I lost about 30 pounds when we moved into my new house and I wasnt even trying to.I just became more active and ate less
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011