Drop Side Cribs!

Okay, we all have heard about the drop side cribs being recalled from all stores and now are no longer being sold in stores. I'd like to know how many of you ladies still have a drop side crib, are you going to continue to use it, are you going to go get a new crib? What are your thoughts on the drop side cribs? Ever have any problems with yours?

PrdWifeNMom07

Asked by PrdWifeNMom07 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I had one for all 5 of my kids - in fact I've had 3 different ones. I loved them all, my 6 month old is still in one, and I plan on continuing to use it until she switches to a twin bed. We did however get the repair kit offered to resolve the recall issues. I never had a problem with them.

Answer by missanc at 3:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I used a drop side crib and never had a problem....now he is in a toddler bed so it dosnt matter now. But it would have been hell for me if I didnt have a drop side with my son.....I had to have an emergency c-section and i had a hard time getting him in his bed with the side lower let alone having to do it with it up...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 3:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I had one with my first and had nothing but problems. I stopped using it then it was recalled because babies and even a 2 year old had died in the exact same model we had. We put it together exactly as the directions read but it never worked right. We were told we could order the kit that supposedly would fix the problem but we just got rid of the crib. I won't have one again.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I have one. No way am I buying another crib when my daughter only has a few months (hopefully) before she moves to a twin.
    Anonymous

• "We have big sturdy sleigh cribs"

One of mine was a sleigh crib - they come in drop sides too.

Answer by missanc at 3:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• well our kids are waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy beyond the crib stage, however when they were little, we had drop-side cribs and never had a problem with them. But then, we checked on our kids a lot even when they were sleeping and we checked regularly to make sure all bolts, etc were tight and the crib was sturdy. People seem to forget that just because you tightened everything properly when you put it together, that doesn' t mean it's going to stay properly tightened forever.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I have one in storage. It is one more thing I can get rid of.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I personally used a drop side crib with my first daughter, it was very sturdy sleigh style crib, it was amazing, we never had one problem with it. I currently am pregnant again and we have another drop side crib that is very sturdy and not "wobbly or flimsy" as everyone seems to make them sound to be. I always checked on my daughter when she was in her crib, and I will continue to do the same thing with this child. I don't allow my child(ren) to play in their cribs, as their crib is only for sleeping! I believe that what happened with all the babies and toddlers are very heartbreaking and sad, but it can happen with ANYTHING and if some parents would watch their kids more, and realize just cause they are in a crib doesn't mean they are "safe from everything", then maybe somethings could be prevented.
    PrdWifeNMom07

Comment by PrdWifeNMom07 (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My crib cost $800. I cannot imagine not having a drop side. When the child is on the bottom lowest mattress setting, how are you supposed to lie a sleeping child down?? Throw them? I think the issues with the cribs were caused by people buying cheap cribs & cheap crib mattresses that don't fit snugly. I would use mine again.

Anonymous

• I also had an emergency c-section and will be having another c-section and if it wasen't for the drop down side, I wouldn't be able to lift to put my child in the crib or get them out of the crib.
    PrdWifeNMom07

Comment by PrdWifeNMom07 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011