What is the best way to find a home for your dog?

When my step daughter moved in her chihuahua moved in with her. We have 4 kids and they always have friends over. We love the little dog but she really needs a home with no kids (she hates them) and she needs older people, or just a quieter environment. Any ideas? I don't want to just put an ad in the paper or whatever. Thanks ladies:)
PS my sd moved out so this isn't like a punishment for her or anything. Please no bashing, I don't wanna hear it.

JackieGirl007

Asked by JackieGirl007 at 3:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pets

• Contact the SPCA. There maybe someone looking for a chihauhau. There are often rescues for specific kinds of dogs. People go to them to get a pet.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 3:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• There are rescues for breed dogs that do screenings and make sure people know what kind of animal they are getting into. I would see if there are any for chihuahuas.
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree with the previous posters, your best bet is to look for a rescue place for the breed.

Answer by older at 3:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• your church, a rescue could take the dog or help you find a new home...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• There are bred rescues....like chihuahua rescue organizations. Or sometimes word of mouth....for instance posting on FB. Adding a picture as well :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I know what u mean!!! We have a person that has five of those and they don't shut up!!!! I can't even go in my garage without them going nuts!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• ask a local vet and put up signs there...at least you know that they care enough for their animals to go to the vet...google small dog rescues in your city...

WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T EVER EVER EVER POST ANYTHING THAT IS ALIVE ON CRAIGSLIST!!!!! PEOPLE WILL PURPOSELY LOOK THERE FOR SMALL DOGS, CATS, KITTENS, BUNNIES, ETC TO USE AS BAIT IN DOG FIGHTING!!!!!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Have you tried posting it on your fb page and asking friends to pass on the post? At least that way you know who the dog is going to.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Thank you all! Very helpful, I totally forgot about the breed rescue thing!
    JackieGirl007

Comment by JackieGirl007 (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Besides Chihuahua rescue, there are other rescues in our area that cater to the size. So check also for toy breed rescues, small dog rescues, etc.

I generally find smaller breeds easier to place in homes than the larger breeds, but adult only house might be a little tricky.

You might post an ad in your local vet and groom shops too.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011