2yr old with cold-Sleeps all day, hardly eats--Help...

Hey all Im new to this so bare with me.
My two year old has had this "cold" since Thursday and it is now Monday. She had a fever over the weekend that did not reach over 101. Then dropped two ish days ago and has been normal since then. She refuses to eat solid foods... Well, yesterday she ate a bite of a noodle and a bite of a banana. Today she ate two pieces of Lucky charms. So if she does eat its VERY LITTLE. Now, on top of all of this she has been SLEEPING so much! Through the night and during the day. I gently wake her to drink some water or nurse and offer food.
That is another thing - I still nurse her so I know she is at least getting SOME Nutrition.
In the beginning of the cold she was coughing so hard and had so much mucus it caused her to vomit twice.
I have an appointment for her on Wed. with HER doctor. Im hoping she will get better so we will not have to go to the appointment. But I was just wondering if any of you have been through this and what could you recommend...

SN: She does seem to eat SOME of a pop sickle when I offer them. Also if I try giving her IBprofin or Tylonol she will gag and puke it up - She has never liked taking meeds - since she was a baby.

Any Advise will HELP! Thank you so much <3 <3

jacquiey9285

Asked by jacquiey9285 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried mild water compresses on her chest? Maybe rubbing a TINY amount of Vicks on it as well? (And by tiny I do mean TINY) Get the tub with lukewarm water and give her a nice, long, relaxing bath, have the door closed so all the heat stays inside and her breathing ways are a bit clearer. Make sure she is always in 100% cotton clothes during the cold and I don't know if it's an old wives tale but my mom always said, iron all her clothes when she has a cold, it kills any unecessary bacteria that don't need to be in your child's body now that her immune system is fighting this already. Keep changing her pillow case IF she has one, her sheets, her blankets every day if possible. Air her room daily as well.

As for food, don't force her at all. Wake her up like you do no nurse her. When it's time to eat, make her something very light, maybe an angel's hair soup with just water and a few drops of lemon juice.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yep my son was sick for about week and he was like that...i would take her to the doctors but your child will let you know,children are very resilient and sleeping all the time is her bodies way of slightly shutting down to recharge and get her to feel better, just like us. If she eats some of the ice pops i would buy those pedialight ice pops and just make sure she is thoroughly hydrated, anything she wants, juice, ice water, pedialight, just try and stay away from apple juice if you can cuz that makes her poop more. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Let her sleep, she's fine. She has a virus. It will pass. As long as she's taking liquids she's fine. Keep offering her bland foods as often as possible. But outside of that, just wait it out. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 3:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• As for sleep, my husband is like this and my dad as well: Some people just sleep it off. Let her sleep, if she does it, it means she needs it. Let her sleep as much as she wants, it's helping her. Don't worry, she will be fine, it's just a cold. :)
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 3:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• they need to sleep it off...if she sleeps, then that's great! make sure she gets fluids before anything...you don't want her getting dehydrated. He tummy may be a bit upset. colds are awful on little ones...just keep her comfy and it will pass :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I say keep doing what you are doing. You can offer bring to the breast more often too, there is so much good stuff in breast milk. Just make sure she is comfy and well hydrated.
    cdnmom24

Answer by cdnmom24 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The breastmilk is providing her will plenty of nutrition. I would also offer warm water, and small snacks. Make some instant apple sauce: peel and cut an apple, put in a glass dish, cover and microwave for about a minute and a half, add a bit of cinnamon

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• My Goodness! Thank you so much! You guys are a life saver... Im going to walgreens tonight to get the pedilyte freeze pops and get some pediacare as well... To see if anything works... <3
    You guys really gave me a piece of mind that Im doing the right thing! I have had some people tell me that I need to give her more water or she will admitted to the hospital. Where I know this is true for some cases - I know my baby is well enough hydrated for her condition and I plan to help out the hydration with Pedialyte freeze Pops!
    Again THANK YOU!
    Any others who want to leave their two cents is welcomed to! Again ANYTHING will help at this point!

Again Thank you all!!!
    jacquiey9285

Comment by jacquiey9285 (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011