Hair & chlorine

What is the best way/product you've found to deal with the damage of pool water on hair? I've just started swimming again - necessary exercise that doesn't harm my already painful joints. Although the increase in strength and decrease in weight and stress will be welcome, the hair is not happy about it. Help!

ETA: If you have a product recommendation - something you've used and were really happy with - I'd appreciate it.

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 4:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Wear a swim cap. Other than that, make sure you wet your hair before you get in the pool and immediately wash with a clarifying shampoo and good conditioner.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• In the summer I often put conditioner on my hair before going in the pool.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Wash and condition with good conditioner as soon as you come out. Every time.
    tootoobusy

• I also started swimming again. I've been using Dove Intensive Repair shampoo and conditioner. It's working well for me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• a good clarifying/chelating shampoo, gentle enough to use everyday, retails for around $20.

dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Swim cap and leave-in conditioner.
    summerbabe

Answer by summerbabe at 7:23 PM on Feb. 1, 2011