Would you like it if your daycare provider watched an ex-boyfriend's child?

So I have a home daycare. I had an interview Friday and the dad happens to be a current daycare moms ex-boyfriend. I did not know this until he walked in my door. The mom is a coworker of another current daycare kiddo. I figured that due to the previous relationship and that I still am caring for the moms child, they would just move on and find another provider for their son. Well the dad called me this morning and they want me to watch their son.

I have not problem being professional about this. I am jsut worried at how the other mom is going to react. I am not really sure about the extent of their relationship, but I always thought that she had cheated on her ex-husband with this guy. I may be completley wrong, but that is the feeling I had always got. She never actually told me they were together, but one day did tell me that he wanted nothing to do with her anymore.

Also to top it off, I also watch her ex-husbands new baby. I know the two men know each other, but am not sure about how the ex-husband feels or would feel about this.

It would be tough to turn away a paying family when it is difficult to find children to watch at times.

What would you think about this, as a mom? Would you be comfortable with the situation?

amerslynn

Asked by amerslynn at 4:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would stay out of it.  There are plenty of different ways this could turn out.  What if there ends up being drama in your home?  How would you handle it?  It's not your responsibility to say anything to any of the parents and I agree with just being professional and not getting into any personal discussions period.  I would worry about the drama though, if I were in this situation.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Probably not, but there's nothing I could (or would) do about it.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 4:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I wouldn't care if I was her. Its not like she has "dibs" on you. The issues between the two of them has nothing to do with you.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Depending on their maturity they may be able to handle this. You know better than anyone. You might mention it to her and see how she reacts.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree...you are there to provide a service - childcare.... that's it! If they have a problem with it...that's between them. Are they really that immature that this may really be an issue?!?!? I mean...if I used a daycare and my ex boyfriends child was there too, I just wouldn't care. I agree with TaraK....she does have 'dibs'. Don't worry about it! Just do your job.
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 4:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I mean 'doesn't have dibs on you' :-)
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 4:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Personally I wouldn't expect my daycare provider to screen for ex-boyfriends. They could end up going to the same school in the future so if she has any issues they are really not your problem. Unless this is a close friend that you are worried about upseting I would say go make your money!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Where i live most woman could throw a rock over their shoulder and hit some sort of ex or ex-related person. So just maintain your professionalism, do what is best for the children in your care and let the others work out their own issues.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Our daycare provider is going to start providing care to my husband's ex-gf's child. She is the bio mom of my stepson. We don't have a problem with it. We were the ones who told her they had an opening.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 4:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You need to stay out of it really if they have an issue then that is their problem...is there a way to pretend you dont know? dont get involved in others drama ...its not good for business
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011