a godparent question for fellow catholics.......

here's my situation - my hubby and i are strict catholics..... my sis-in-law who's pregnant right now is my daughters godmother and now that she's almost due with her 1st, we were expecting my hubby to be chosen to be the godfather....well, instead she chose her mom ( my mom-in-law) to be the godmother ( for real ? )......now mind you that my mom-in-law hates the catholic religion and claims to be of jewish faith for years now.
i can't recall but, CAN GRANDMOTHERS BE GODMOTHERS TO THEIR OWN GRANDBABIES ?????

SANDYCAT

Asked by SANDYCAT at 4:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Let me revise that. A grandmother CAN be a godparent IF the church allows it. If the baby is being baptised Catholic, then grandma won't be accepted unless she becomes a practicing Catholic.

Your SIL may be confusing godparent with guardian. Godparents have NO legal standing, only religious standing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes, a grandmother can be a godparent so long as she is catholic.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes, a grandmother can be a godmother. My boys were baptized Catholic and each has one godparent who was/is not a Cathloic.
    Anonymous

• They can. You only need one person to be Catholic, and it doesn't matter who they are.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I sure hope so. My parents are the godparents to my youngest two, and the priest never said anything about it being wrong. My understanding is that, at least in the Catholic church, one of the godparents needs to be Catholic, there are really no other requirements.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes, grandparents can be godparents. My parents are godparents to both of my kids. I thought the godparents were supposed to be Catholic, though.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• One has to be Catholic the other can be A Christian witness. Both need to be Baptised.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011