to keep or not to keep that is the question

My 3month old son is rapidly growing out of his clothes. No big shock there. What did you guys keep and what did you give away or sell? And the same thing with "big ticket" items like swings and pack n plays. We might have one more child but then again we might not. I also live in a small house were storage space is at premium?

Emilypit

Asked by Emilypit at 4:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• with my first we got rid of the crib swing ect . then 2 1/2 years later had to buy more stuff cuz we had another baby lol so i would keep somethings as for clothes i kept my favortie gave others away
    Cherriemama831

Answer by Cherriemama831 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• for clothes I kept anything that looked barely worn or not worn at all and donated the rest to the local homeless shelter. I have one huge tote now, mostly 0-3mos, then 3-6mos stack ontop of that and then 6-9most after and I have the 12mos stuff in there. and as my son gets older we are just setting aside things that I would feel my next baby could wear. like next to non-tattered clothing. the rest is donated. Adn so far 12mos colthing has been the biggest donation because I barely saved anything.

Other big things we are saving. His bed goes to a day bed, which he is in now, but I hope to have another one and then Ican just put the rail back for a little baby. Everything else, swings, bouncers, etc are saved. In fact his swing can break down to just a chir so we have the motor/base part just put away right now.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i say keep. i got rid of all my girl clothes from my first DD after she grew out of them to a needy mommy which was great and all but when i had my second dd (my 3rd baby ) i regretted not keeping them
    when i had my 2nd baby a boy i decided to keep all his stuff just in case. and when we found out she was a girl not a boy i gave them to some needy familes. what i couldnt use for the girl
    now that i know we are offically done with babies ill either swap her old clothes for new stuff at once upon a child or ill keep them for in case one of my good freinds has a girl. or someone i know who could use them i recently got in contact with another army family who fosters kids and babies and works for a social agency and i give her all my stuff we outgrow so she can use them at the agency.and foster homes and adoption agencies.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I kept DS's clothes, the one's I really liked and gave the rest away. I limited myself to 5 items from the smaller sizes and 10 items as he got bigger and could wear them longer. I kept my pack n play because it was very expensive and very nice and I didn't want to have to purchase a new one. The crib, high chair, bouncer, swing etc I gave away due to lack or storage space. I new if I had another one I could always buy that stuff from a second hand store for relatively cheap and good condition. Now I'm having a girl so even the clothes I kept aren't helpful, lol, but the pack n play sure is! If I had paid a lot of my crib I might have found a way to store it, but it was given to me for free. Other then that I don't regret getting rid of anything.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i kept clothes from the hospital, first easter n xmas dresses and anything supercute that had sentimental value... as far as the bigger ticket items, some of my dds stuff is in my friend's garage and some in my mom's attic. if in doubt... keep it.
    shilohsmama425

Answer by shilohsmama425 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I kept the big stuff that is more expensive to replace- swing, high chair, pack n' play, etc. I kept some clothes, basically the really cute stuff that I just loved, the stuff still in the best condition, and anything that could be gender neutral in case I don't have another girl. I got rid of anything worn out, stained, or that I just had too many of (like all these little bibs I had that I never used and figured I probably wouldn't need, or sweatshirts that I had lots of, etc). It's hard. If space is really at a premium I say keep the big stuff if you can because that is the most expensive to replace and while people like to buy baby clothes not a lot of people will buy you big ticket items for a second baby.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 4:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I plan no more kids, so I get rid of everything as soon as DS outgrows it. With DD, I saved EVERYTHING. All of her clothing was placed into space saver bags. I had a boy, so all of her clothing was donated since.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Since you may possibly have another one later on, I would keep the really good clothes and the "big ticket" items as well. I live in a small apartment where storage is limited as well. Most of the stuff breaks down pretty good. If you are finacially able to, you can donate the bigger items and put money away each month to go towards the repurchase of those items, and if another child does not happen, you and DH can take a nice little trip someplace!!
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 6:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I kept them and I'm glad I did because we had another boy.
    spamica

Answer by spamica at 7:46 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We kept everything but we had the space. If the stuff is really getting in your way then sell it. However, if you plan on having another child fairly soon the expense of getting new stuff might not be worth it.
    vicki77433

Answer by vicki77433 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2011