Public Assistance...

Do you think we should stop all PA,and over haul it?Then put stringent requirements for getting it,time limit,etc?

ImKristen

Asked by ImKristen at 4:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think politicians should stop using PA as a tool for votes. The Great Society legislation was enacted in the 1960's to eliminate poverty. Answer me this... Has it worked?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Stopping it completely would only put those who genuinely need it in greater jeprody. However, I do agree that there needs to be stricter rules, further investigation into homes that apply for it, etc. I know that a lot of people do genuinely need it, but there are a greater number who are abusing the system.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Can we say drug testing?!  I am a firm believer that drug testing would be EXTREMELY beneficial to knocking out a lot of the fraud going on in PA.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Grlygrlz: Public Assitance does work...but,my question is intended to identify whether we should stop it,and then reform it to make it work the way it was intended!

JazzlikeMrz: I totally agree!
    ImKristen

Comment by ImKristen (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• And no, I don't think that it should be knocked out for any amount of time.  There are plenty of families who NEED it and whatever helps your family, more power to you.  But I do think that putting some different rules down would help stop the frauds.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• MrsHouston: I am all for that,as well!
    ImKristen

Comment by ImKristen (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I don't think that stopping it for the amount of time reform would take would be a very good solution for those who are truly in need of it.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I don't think it should be stopped completely I think putting. A time limit on how long you can receive them would be suitable. Its so many ppl abusing the system. A family friend wont work because she don't want them to decrease her food stamps. Many ppl sell them too. But eliminating pa completely wouldn't be a good idea. Growing up my family didn't have much and we were on pa. I can remember many nights going to bed hungry.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 5:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• there IS a time limit, of sorts..what they haven't done is be strict about 're-upping'..its so easy to continue on the PA path, since nothing is secured or checked out before continuation of PA/recipient. its far too easy for a person to continue benefits, without proving a need, or that they haven't been able to 'better' (get a job!) themselves.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If it has worked we wouldn't have generations of family members on "the system". Is a temporary help up needed? Yes. Is the current system in the best interest for this nation? NO... Is it in the best interest of politicians? Yes. Should we stop expanding entitlement programs we cannot fund? Yes.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011