I already have a doula...would taking classes about the Bradley Method be worth it?

If I already have a doula, would it be practical for me to take a course on the bradley method? DH doesn't think so. He says, "I thought that's what we had the doula for....we're paying her to tell us what to do. Why do we need to pay someone else to teach us what to do. Wouldn't it be one or the other?"

I just want as natural a birth as possible. I'm giving birth at a naval hospital which will make it even harder being in that environment instead of home. I know all he thinks of are in terms of money, but it seems worth it to me.

What were you all's experiences? Was it worth it to have both? Did you just have one (the class or the doula). Was it enough?

loli_usn17

Asked by loli_usn17 at 11:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am thinking of hiring a doula. I was looking at Bradley info on the internet and I think I may get info that way (cheaper) and save the real money for the doula's assistance at my birth.

I understand how you want to be prepared...especially at a military hospital. Just make one significantly cheaper than the other. Then maybe hubby will get on board. Good luck!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• If money is no issue and you have the time..................why not? You might learn something that you didn't know before!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 2:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• A doula is a support person. Bradley is a method. Just like yoga is a practice, and a coach is an instructor. If you have expectations about how you want your birth to be, and are looking to have the highest chances of making the birth experience in your head the one that happens in reality, then it pays to study and practice before hand.

For example, If you want to use visualization as a tool in childbirth, but you haven't practiced before that moment, the likelihood of your being able to use it effectively drops significantly. When the pressure is on and it is suggested that you 'think of your happy place' if you don't know where that is, then it;s going to be twice as hard to get there.

Birthing classes are where you learn and practice the skills that a doula will guide you through in the moment.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with Kestrel1 a doula is trained to do so but not all doual are childbirth educators. I am a childbith educator, doula, and a monitrice. So I have an advantage. A doula can teach you a method but it could be a method you might not like and if the doula is not familiar with bradley I suggest she accompanies you to the classes or you should hire a doula that is bradley method trained. YOu have to get your best options available but bradley is not the only method for natural childbirth. For example my cirriculum is a holistic method of natural childbirth is a combination of birthing from within book, hospital, FOCEP, bradley and midwifery ways. so I have alot to offer so it all depends.
    childbirthoptio

Answer by childbirthoptio at 9:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• you are both so right! why leave your birth experience in the hands of someone else- i'm sure she is perfecly capable of doing everything in her power to give you the experience you are looing for- but there is no substitute for personal preparation! I went through the classes with my hubby for our second child- and he is the first to admit that it is an invaluable opportunity not only to take time to bond with your SO, but to empower yourself and prepare you for much more than just the actual birth, for the very trying and unsure months ahead!! good luck on whatever you decide!!
    mrs.stabin

Answer by mrs.stabin at 3:52 PM on Dec. 1, 2008