Send to bed hungry?

My 2yr old is trying my last nerve. He refuse to take a nap. He is talking back(even though I can't understand half of what he is saying). He is giving me these looks like he want to slap the hell out of me. I just sat him down for dinner he is screaming he want juice. I told him no. Now he is throwing a temper tantrum and refusing to eat. Would it be wrong of me to just send him to bed?

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 6:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nope it wouldn't be wrong, You offered, he refused. He won't starve.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• it would not be wrong of you although it sounds like you need to set up some boundries and some discipline up. He is at the age where he is going to start testing and pushing those limits. If you don't start setting expectations now it will get out of control.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• PS depending on his age, he might not understand why he's going to bed hungry though - not sure if it will be affective - depends on the maturity level of your son at 2 also - I had to do this to my 3 year old at a new 3 year old and he got it but I can't say at 2 he'd really GET it.. my son gets hypoglycemic ( or hyper, sorry I always mix them up ) episodes where lack of food actually is causing the tantrums and I have to hold him and feed him in order to calm him down
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It has already begun cornflakegirl3. He just so headstrong.
    nicjon

Comment by nicjon (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• He wants juice and he knows he can't get it until he eats. He likes to pour it in his food. That is why he throwing the tantrum.
    nicjon

Comment by nicjon (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I can say my kids have given me angry looks but not one that would make me say they wanted to slap me.

While I don't think its wrong to send a kid to bed after trying to get them to eat if its way before a normal bed time maybe its just time for a time out for mom and toddler?

Sounds like its been a bad day!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would put him in his room for a cool down and then ask him if he wants to eat his dinner nicely or go to bed. those are the choices. If he is already upset he is in no position to make a choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• A very bad day. He has been running around screaming. Waking the baby up. I can't wait until hubby gets home
    nicjon

Comment by nicjon (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes, he is a 2 yr old not a 12 yr old. Calm him down and once he is calm, feed him his dinner. I do not believe in not feeding a child for any reason.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• whenever my 2 year old refuses to eat dinner (which happens almost every night here as she is in her picky phase) i give her a piece of bread before bed. i know, how nutritional. but i feel bad for her going to bed on an empty stomach, because i dont feel 2 year olds are ready to understand the concept of "eat this or go to bed hungry" yet. she never refuses the bread.. lol! but she knows i will not make anything else for her if she doesn't eat. just a piece of bread! she eats fine for breakfast and lunch so i know she won't starve. and my rule around here is if you don't like it you don't have to eat it, but you do have to try it. so if she doesn't even want to try it then that's her choice. it also sounds like your LO is just extremely tired, which is probably the fuel behind the fire this evening. some rest will do you both good!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011