Is dieting during pregnancy really that bad?

I've heard of moms gaining 0-10 lbs and having a perfectly healthy baby.

Waitaminute808

Asked by Waitaminute808 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You can't diet diet but you can make healthier choices. I lost 20 pounds in the fisrt 4 months then maintained my weight for the next 4 and only gained 12 pounds total. At my six week I was down 40 pounds from my pre weight just based on better eating habbits and swimming.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Dieting while pregnant is not advisable. Women who do this, are women who are scared to death of what they'll look like after they give birth. Everyone ganins weight while pregnant; how much depends on what & how you eat.

The unborn baby needs much nutrition & so does Mom. That doesnt mean they eat anything they want & as much as they want, as often as they want. It means they need a GOOD healthy & balanced diet. There are exercise prgrams specifically designed for pregnant women that are safe & healthy to do, but only if their OBGYN says it's ok to participate in them.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• not gaining a ton is different than dieting. I only gained 11 lbs, but not because I starved myself, I ate well and exercised regularly
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Depends on the starting weight of the pregnant individual, underweight women are supposed to gain a few extra pounds, and overweight/obese women should gain less than the recommended normal. I would discuss this with you ob/gyn, though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Dieting is not healthy during pregnancy, making healthy choices is.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 6:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• The amount of weight that you gain or maintain is due to your pre-pregnancy weight. If you're under weight then it'll be advised that you gain a certain amount of weight to have a healthy pregnancy. It's not only for the health of the pregnancy, but it is also for the health of your body. You're growing and carrying a child inside your body, so your body needs to maintain a certain weight in order to do that. Not only for fuel purposes, but so that your body can withstand the amount of weight a baby and the fluids themselves carry. Now, if a person is overweight pre-pregnancy then a doctor might advise them to lose a few lbs or to try not to gain any weight. However, what the doctor tells you all greatly depends on you. What is right for one person isn't neccissarily right for someone else. You need to consult your doctor to find out what is the best approach for you.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Dieting to lose weight can be VERY dangerous.

Eating healthier and losing weight as a result isn't harmful as long as you consuming the right amount of calories.

I'm overweight so my doctor had me eat 1500 calories in the first trimester, 1800 in the second and third.

I lost 25 pounds with my first DD in the first trimester, maintained in the second and most of the third, then gain 9 pounds in the last month. My DD was 8lbs 1 oz.

I lost 8 pounds with DS in my first trimester, maintained in the second and gained 6 in the last month. DS was 7 lbs 9oz.
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't think that it would not be good. If it is under doctor's strict care for medical reasons that would be a different story.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• There is no way any woman can get through a pregnancy without gaining a pound. The baby has to weigh something! But dieting during pregnancy is so bad and who would even want to...this is our one time to eat whatever we want and gain weight and no one can judge us!!
    missmay5

Answer by missmay5 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 1, 2011