Does this irritate anyone else?

When you are venting about a bad day or a bad situation, and someone says "At least(fill in the blank), you don't have cancer, your kids aren't sick, you can still walk, etc."

After breakfast this morning, I slipped on my stairs going into the basement, and fell and hit my back on the edge of the top step. It hurts REALLY bad and in fact it was hurting so bad this afternoon, I got ANOTHER migraine. ( I had one last night and I get migraines about 3-4 times a week. I posted on FB a little while ago that my back was killing me and I got another migraine and we're expecting an ice storm tonight. I said, in a tongue in cheek manner, "Can someone just shoot me already?" My husband's brother's wife, who is also known as the Wicked Witch of the West, said "At least you woke up this morning." Gee thanks for those words of wisdom and encouragement!! It's not like I complain all the time and for someone who gets almost daily migraines, I think I stay pretty positive.

Why do people think that reminded you that things could always be worse, makes your current problems better?

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 6:44 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Relationships

• Because they are morons and can't think of anything better to say.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 6:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I know how you feel. It would be nice to just hear...I'm sorry you're having a sucky day.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 6:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yep..sometimes it irritates me too.I am sorry about your accident ..you should get that checked out.I am fortunate that I do not get migranes like that and I really feel for you they are terrible to even get once in a while.Hope things get better for you soon.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 6:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Ooooh. That sucks!! I fell on the stairs once, holding my son when he was a baby, and landed on my ass. I swear I broke my tailbone, it hurt for years. I'm sorry you hurt yourself so bad. I know what it's like with the migraines. I have them a lot. I'm on Topamax, it helps. But I just got the dosage raised cause I'm having headaches just about every day again. They aren't horrible, but they are there.
    I know what you mean about those comments. It's like you never have the right to complain, or vent, or have any sort of release. I'd make some sort of smart ass comment back to her, but, that's just me. She was really rude.
    I hope your back feels better sooner rather then later. And I hope your migraine lets up soon, too.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Yes -- thats irritating -- It is also bothersome when your trying to talk about something that went wrong with your Own DAY -- and the other person interjects -- OH, If you think that's bad ....... let me tell you what happened to ME .......... blah blah blah!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I went to the chiro,and I've been putting ice and heat on it and taking Motrin. I'm going to have a bruise on my lower back the size of a dinner plate. I didn't break anything.
    Bethsunshine

Comment by Bethsunshine (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• What a witch! I would delete her.

Hope you begin to feel better very soon. :-)
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• That is the WORST! Because what they're really saying is you're being a whiner and you don't really have it that bad. I know a lady who, whenever she hears someone talk about anything bad that's happened to them, she monopolizes the conversation with stories of her own mishaps and how brave she is and resilient. She's the kind of woman who will walk all over on a (casted) broken leg, climb ladders, do everything, but then make sure everyone recognizes all she's doing.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:00 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• reminding me that I dont have these issues doesn't make my current one any less important is what I always say. I totally agree with you it is annoying.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 7:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I could see a response like that if you were complaining about measly stuff, but what happened to you and a migraine is big stuff! I think a decent person would wish you well, not make flip remarks. I think I'd consider the source. Hope your day, and back, gets better soon! :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011