first time hair cut....

My 2 yr old daughter needs to get her hair cut, anyone have any suggestions for this first time cut to go smoothly?  And hopefully avoid the temper tantum toddler....  and try to without resorting toBenadryl??? loltoddler tantrum

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids never cried when getting a hair cut. They liked it. Go to a kiddie place.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• can you find a fun kids place? chair that looks like a ride, an assistant blowing bubbles, cartoons blaring, etc?
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Rookie tip mistake? they'll likely have a box of suckers plentiful. you may be tempted to stick one in her mouth immediately to shush her up from the get go. Avoid this impulse. The sucker will become covered in hair and she'll gag and freak out.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It has never bothered my kids. I always let them bring thier fav lovey to hold on to and they do just fine. But I remember when I was young my little brother would throw a huge fit so they would spray mouse on a handheld mirror and let him "finger paint " in it while they cut! It worked ;) Good Luck! Don't forget your camers! ;)
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If all else fails, bribe her with the sucker lol
    madsmom314

Answer by madsmom314 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My son is almost 3 he got his haircut for the first time after he turned 2. I took him to the mall. I saw that you are from michigan where at in michigan? They have a place in lakeside mall called carnival cuts. its great they have toy cars little tv infront of the stands and suckers to keep them busy with. its the only place ill go. look it up on the internet to see where else they have them =)
    Littleguysmommy

Answer by Littleguysmommy at 6:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• PS use this as a base-line. If the kids hair business was rated like hotels, this would be ideal, like the plaza in new york. there's a video on this page. by coincident this place is in Michigan but obviously I dunno your area. look for a place like this, at least for the 1st time to get her chill.

http://www.haircutsarefun.com/
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 7:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My SIL is a hair stylist. She is in New York and we are in Virginia. The first time DD had hers cut(shaped really) SIL did it. With DS we went to a place called CartoonCuts, they have a few toys, like in the doctors office, that can be played with before cut. And they had TV screens at each stand and DS would not let go of Daddy's hand. They had several 'channels' that ran different videos. He was engrossed by the Dora video and the stylist got a kick out of him answering Dora.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 8:15 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If you have or can borrow one, take a portable DVD player to distract her with her favorite video. If not, go to a place with someone who is very good with the little ones.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 12:57 PM on Feb. 1, 2011