A Christian living in Egypt. Would you be afraid?

Fear of what may follow the removal of Mr. Mubarak, a secular strongman who has ruled the country for the past 30 years, is making reluctant supporters out of the country’s Christians, an estimated 10% of Egypt’s 80 million population. Mr. Mubarak has been aggressive in pursuing perceived Islamist extremist groups, a policy that has endeared him to Coptic Christians, not to mention the U.S.
Many Copts worry that Mr. Mubarak’s exit would leave them dangerously exposed—either by chaos, or to a government that may be more tolerant of Islamist extremists.
Pope Shenouda III, head of the Coptic Church, expressed support for Mr. Mubarak in an interview with Egyptian state television on Monday. “We have called the president and told him we are all with you and the people are with you,” Mr. Shenouda said, according to a transcript of the interview on the state television’s website.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703439504576116222399438428.html?mod=fox_australian

myame

Asked by myame at 6:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If I live in Egypt right now I would be afraid regardless of my religion.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'd be afraid because of the general chaos but not because of my religion. I'm worried about what happens down the road.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Any American in Egypt should leave the country. Religion makes no difference.

Anonymous

• I agree with Scout Mom, but I think I would be afraid if I were a Christian. I would not want to undergo the types of persecution that many Christians have undergone in Muslim countries.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• What tinamatt said.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• expressed support for Mr. Mubarak in an interview with Egyptian state television on Monday.
    ______________
    Oh really, he went on state run tv and you believe that he represents the feelings of the people there, Christians or no. I think you may not be aware what state run TV means in a dictatorship. If Mubarak was concerned with the relations of Christians and Muslims in his country, he would have allowed the various leaders who have tried to make peaceful discussions to do so, rather than preventing any kind of meetings or discussions. The state run media has been whipping this issue into a hostile adversarial thing, rather than encouraging cooperation between Christians and Muslims. It's funny how the various religions, who used to get along peacefully are now encouraged to be at each other's throats. This is a ploy to act like Mubarack has ANY support in the country. Which he does not.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If you all are tempted to believe the Christians are pulling for Mubarack, I have to say that you are being snowed.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• This is a ploy to act like Mubarack has ANY support in the country. Which he does not.

And you polled the entire country?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• And you polled the entire country?
    ____________________________
    I'm sorry, you may have missed the fact that this has been the only guy not directly employed by Mubarack that has spoken in support of him. lol
    Have YOU polled the country?
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Stacy and carpy: I have been watching you two a bit and I want to say something... I get the feeling you both act like you know everything. It comes across the board the way you type. In reality... you both only see a part of the whole. Noone has the full picture or knows everything that is going on in the heads and the hearts of the people of Egypt. Media reports what they see and percieve and even that is not full on truth. What goes on behind the scenes is what people do not see or know except those that are back there. What is going on with Egypt I believe is a bigger picture than we realize and it will set into motion many things in the future that are good and bad.

continued....
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2011