Chocolate?

My mother-in-law told me that i shouldn't eat chocolate while breastfed because it might upset my babys tummy or give her the runs. I never heard this before so i thought i would get some advice on it. Also i heard that it was ok to have a cup of coffee once a day but i don't want to affect my baby. Please let me know what ya think! Thanks!

Mrsroeder22

Asked by Mrsroeder22 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have chocolate now and then and it has never affected DS. I'm sure it COULD affect some babies, and maybe you're MIL experienced that. I don't consume any caffeine, however, but I know dr.'s say it's ok. I just think caffeine is a drug and it's worse than most people think.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• This does depend on both the mother and the baby. I had to give up lots of foods for both of my children, but only for one year each time so that was not too bad. By that time they were also eating plenty of other foods themselves. I gave up all coffee, tea, and cocoa. So that sent chocolate away. Then I had to give up "windy" foods like cauliflower, cooked cabbage, and corn. No sauces. Cucumber was bad. I could not eat cake. No bread for one. I could not drink any alcohol. When I tried eating or drinking these foods my babies became very irritable and could not sleep. One used to get bellyache dreadfully. It was hard at first, but much harder to see what was happening to my poor little baby. Just ask granny to help you work out which foods upset the baby. If everything is fine, then smile and thank her for loving the baby so much. I breastfed both my babies until they were about two years old. They grew to be elite athletes.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I could not breastfeed, so I never heard anything about avoiding chocolate. Is there a laction nurse in your doctor's office, if so ask her. When I had the prenatal parenting classes, the lady who gave them was also a lactation specialist. She said that a cup of coffee was safe to have while pregnant. Another woman in the class asked if it was still okay when nursing and she said it was okay to have when nursing too. But she also added that every baby is differant, so what is okay for one, may not be for another.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 7:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• You can eat whatever you want. There are no rules about what not to eat when breastfeeding. If the baby has a problem, then you stop eating that food. My daughter was really gassy and fussy when I ate garlic. I had to avoid it for about 2 months, then after 2 months, it didn't bother her anymore. I eat a lot of super spicy food, too, and she never had a problem.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Chocolate makes this baby very gassy, which is sad, because I love chocolate. Caffeine does not affect her at all. It will vary from baby to baby, just watch and see if there are any reactions.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:58 PM on Feb. 1, 2011