5 month old eating habits

my 5 month old daughter is having a hard time eating the dr wants her to eat anywhere from 30 to 36 oz aday she only eats 20 oz to 25 oz i don't know what to do he said to wait on giving her cereal until she ate her bottle better but she looooves it so much. and when she sees me eating things she starts smacking her lips and strains towards it and glares and i mean glares at me i don't know what to do i cant force her to eat she just doesn't want it she's a very happy baby but just doesn't want to eat her bottle she wants cereal and other foods help? i stilll give her cereal everry  now and then but she seems to want to want it more often i know to keep giving her her bottle but she seems to like the cereal better help?

lillymom828

Asked by lillymom828 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Personally, I would get a second opinion. I am a big promoter of exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months, but I know there are some babies who really want solids before that, and if you're not breastfeeding anyway than I don't know much about benefits of withholding solids. I just don't think it should be as cut-and-dry as many doctors try to make it. Is she underweight? Is she having 6+ wet diapers a day? If she's gaining weight fine and having six or more wet diapers, I would say she's getting enough food. If you ARE going to start solids, though, I would personally suggest starting with fruits and veggies, because they're easiest to digest. However i know lots of babies start with cereal and are fine.

What's most important is that YOU are the mother, and ultimately, as the mother, YOU are responsible for your child's health, not your doctor. Do some research, getting a second opinion if necessary (CONT)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• ... and DON'T BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT YOU BELIEVE IS BEST REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOUR DOCTOR SAYS! Good luck, mama. :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 7:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Change doctors. Your child is behaving normally. Do not introduce solid-type foods until at least six months of ages. Lots of people defer this move even longer. Start by letting her hold a piece of banana. She can suck on it and make a mess. Bananas are usually safe. Then progress to mushy pears. Gradually work through lots of fruit and vegetables. Then let her chew on some tough meat, but not swallow it. Allow a whole week on each food before you introduce the next new one. Many people develop food allergies and food related problems because they were given tastes when they were too young. Avoid cereals. Avoid all dairy products. Avoid all bread and bread-like products. You can introduce these foods after the first birthday. If you do this carefully for the first two years you will set up your child for one hundred years of good health.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• At this age formula (or breast milk) is the primary nutrition source. Solids are introduced gradually for more calories, and also for practice eating solids.
    Don't introduce meat unless it is baby food meat in jars. She could choke on meat at this age. Even so, don't give her babyfood meat until at least 9 months.
    If she's normal weight and height, then a little cereal, fruit or veg once a day won't hurt her. Keep up with the bottles, but you can add a little bit of solids.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 3:52 PM on Feb. 1, 2011