question for those who have had both a natural childbirth & one w/ medication!

I am pregnant w/ my third child.. and am thinking about going natural w/ this one.

Why? ONLY because my other two I was induced, and in labor for days... my labors were long & very hard. My first, I was induced on the 21st and I had her the 23rd..crazy.. the pushing didnt hurt because of the epidural, but there was a lot of pressure.. I also had to have stitches, so i just all around felt awful when it was over.
My second, i was induced the 11th and had her the 13th. Another crazy. My epidural stopped working properly, and i felt a LOT of pain but i also had problems w/ my nerves on half my body and the pitocin just made everything worse.. I now have back problems from the epi..
now w/ my 3rd and last.. I am considering no epidural.. because the other two made things very rough after.. and i had complications with them..

im wondering though, if ill regret it.. because i do remember feeling lots of pain when it wore off, it was extremely intense.. but im wondering since its my third if it would be any easier?

what are you experiences w/ both?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had the same recovery with and without the epidural. Just less pain during. Same amount of stitches and everything. I was up and moving right away with all of my little ones. So I did the first with an epidural, the second without and when comparing the two I went ahead and had an epidural with the third and I will my fourth a well.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• We are made to naturally-instinctively cope. This will mean moving, walking, wriggling, moaning, squatting, whatever... Working with gravity.
    Lying in a bed is not good for labor. And it doesn't feel very good, different than being able to get up and walk or shower, etc.

There are a lot of natural coping options. Many women are able to have VERY pleasant low-no pain natural deliveries this way.
    It's worth looking into!!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I don't really have an answer. I'm going to bump. But you are not alone in wanting this. I want to do natural with my second. I had a very long labor with my first as well and opted for it after many hours of active labor. GL! I hope you are able to do it : )
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I had medication with the first, lots of pain, long labor, long recovery. Second one was born at home, no medication, some pain, but much shorter labor, shorter recovery.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Well I DO have an answer!! GET THE EPIDURAL! I had nothing with my first child -- and ended up in labor for 28 hours and 53 stitches! I was so terrified that I waited fifteen YEARS to have another child!! I was induced with my second and had an epidural and OMG what a difference -- Not to make small of it because it STILL hurt, but only a FRACTION of what it did with my first!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• This being your third should be easier as far as labor, but I did it both ways and nothing compares to a free med labor, the recovery is awesome and quick.

Answer by older at 7:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• i was cut of oh my epidural but i was still in another world... if you think you can do it without... i say go for it... but come my second i'm still going to get it.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 7:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I was induced...she got stuck...had an epidural...had a c-section...best experience of my life. would do it exactly the same over again...Epidurals are safe and I have nothing to prove to anyone :) It was my first and I was in labor for less that 8 hours...pushed for 20 mins, then the c-section.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I had an epi with the first one and I had a natural birth with my second.

I WOULD DO NATURAL AGAIN OVER AN EPI ANYDAY!!

I had a WONDERFUL birthing experience with my second baby.

SERIOUSLY NATURAL IS THE WAY TO GO!
    Anonymous

• Look into Hypnobabies. I had a great labor and birth with my son. I used Hypnobabies and I had a doula. I have nothing but happy things to say about my labor. Wonderful, happy and comfortable experience.

I had an induction, epidural and every medical intervention you could think of my DD. It was a horrific experience! I was stuck in bed, uncomfortable, being told what to do, unable to drink anything and then I ended up bleeding out as a result of the induction.

All of my future labors will be natural and will use the comforts Hypnobabies can offer.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011