my daughter wil be four months this weekend and she is ready for food or cereal, how should i go about this?

mattncarleysmom

Asked by mattncarleysmom at 7:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait another month at least. What's the rush?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I started out giving my girls a tablespoon of rice cereal. I used my breast milk or formula and mixed it to a thin consistancy. When they handled that well I began introduing baby food. Started with the "white food" like applesauce, pears, and bananas. I then moved onto the "orange" peaches, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes. And finally "greens" green beans, peas.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Usually waiting till they are at least six months is recomended, but if you feel you must give her cereal now, mix it with breastmilk or formula leave it pretty runny and use a soft small baby spoon to feed it
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• (Cont.) When introducing the foods you want to watch for allergic reactions. So don't move on too quickly. I was always told to give each food for a few days before introducing the next. And four months is fine :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• She is too young. Do not give any solid-type foods until six months or it might lead to allergies or eating problems later in life. When the time comes, let her hold and suck on a banana. Mashed banana is usually safe. Then mushy pears. Stick with fruit and vegetables for a really long time. Then a little tough meat to chew on but not swallow. Stay away from cereals and avoid eggs. Avoid dairy products, including icecream. Avoid bread and bread-like products. There will be some good books in your local library and then you do not need to buy reference books. There are thousands of people with allergies which are caused by feeding babies the wrong foods at the wrong time. You can do the right thing for two years now and set your child up for one hundred years of good health.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• wait til she's about 6 months...after that...mash up a fresh vege and mix in a little Breastmilk or formula...my daughters first was at almost 6 months. I mashed up fresh avocado and added a little breastmilk. don't start out with anything sweet...then they've got a sweet tooth.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• wow apparently the person giving a thumbs down to everyone is against waiting til 6 months???? lol!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Im guessing it's OP giving the thumbs down...if you're set in your ways, why are you asking for help?? good grief...
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I started both of mine on cereal at four months. It was a not quite a tablespoon of rice cereal mixed with formula to a very thin consistancy. I gave them that once a day, usually dinner time. What ever time you chose, do close to the same time each day. At about 6 months, I started them on vegetables, and still gave them some cereal. When you start with a new food, wait a few days before starting a new food so if they are allergic you know what caused it.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 7:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2011