Is being a klutz a stage children go through?

My son has always gotten injured, but in what I considered normal numbers. A fall off a bike once in awhile, tumbled down the stairs once or twice, bruises on his legs and knees when learning to walk, things of this nature. He was never what I would describe as a klutz. He just turned 5 a few days ago, and about 2 weeks ago this "klutz" stage started. He's falling ALL THE TIME, its almost as if he's forgotten how to walk. Tripping over his own feet, the animals, it seems like I spend my entire day going stand up, you're fine. And its not just getting hurt, recently he's dropping and breaking things ALL THE TIME. I asked him if he was given silly fingers for his birthday, because I swear he drops his cup at least once a day if not more. And before about 2 weeks ago I don't ever remember him dropping his cup, its just something he never did for whatever reason. In 2 weeks he's broken 3 of my glasses. 1 he tripped over the dog and knocked it off the table. 1 he was taking a sip of my drink and just dropped it, i'm not really sure why he was using 2 hands. 1 he knocked over a toy that hit the table with enough force it knocked over my glass. He also broke a plate when he tripped on his way to the sink. I'm not mad about any of it, every time it happens I say its ok, just an accident. I clean up the glass and if its just a spill he gets a towel and cleans up the liquid. I'm just becoming a little concerned over his new found klutziness. Is there a growth spurt around 5, and maybe that's contributing? Maybe its just a lack of paying attention to his surroundings? Anyone else's seemingly non-klutz child suddenly become a walking hazard to himself and objects around him? He's even started falling out of bed, which ironically he has NEVER done, even as a young toddler in his toddler bed. It just never happened up until 2 weeks ago, and its happened 3 times since... what's going on?

ba13ygrl1987

Asked by ba13ygrl1987 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in General Parenting

• My 4 & 2 year old are like this. They are constantly falling,running,bumping, sliding & jumping into things & it drives me nuts because i keep worrying they are going to hurt themselves. I just try to keep an eye on them as best i can. And yes it is most likely a stage.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 7:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my son is 3 and is always falling, running into things. he just doesn't pay attention to where hes going tho.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm still one....but yes it is normal, sometimes they grow faster then their coordination can keep up with.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It could be that he is going through a growing phase.
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 7:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My child is sooo clumsy -- It's funny tho -- she will run into something and then look around like someone pushed her!!! lol
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I'm glad to hear its normal, but my goodness I've had enough today lol. Since writing this he's dropped the same apple on the floor 4 times, and he's sitting at a table for crying out loud! lol I can't help my shake my head a laugh in frustration, its just ridiculous :)
    ba13ygrl1987

Comment by ba13ygrl1987 (original poster) at 7:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2011