I sometimes have numb lips and tongue after eating, but it seems to be getting worse.

When I was about 5 months pregnant my lips and tongue would get slightly numb after I ate, but only sometimes. It didn't stop after I had the baby, and the last few days it seems to be getting worse. Just now I was chewing gum and my entire mouth, nose, and chin is a little numb, like I got a novacaine shot and now it's wearing off. I searched for the symptoms, found talk of cancer and ms and I'm having a bit of a panic attack, which might be making the numbness worse. Please don't freak me out, I'm calling a neurologist on Monday. In the meantime, has anyone ever had something like this?

Karinza

Asked by Karinza at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Health

• it sounds like you are allergic to something!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 12:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Ditto the allergic reaction. Start keeping a food/gum/drink diary. See what you eat and document when you start to get the numbness.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 12:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• The left side of my lip and chin have been numb for over a month now. I went to the doctor. he wanted to send me to a neurologist. I don't have insurance since my job closed down in June. so I can't go. but if you can. you need to be checked out. you have a little one depending on you. it is probably something you ate. keep a food diary to take with you. good luck
    Fonda99

Answer by Fonda99 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would definately say an allergic reaction. You should get to the ER ASAP!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• It could be something as simple as an allergic reaction, or it could be a symptom of something more. Are you diabetic? When my blood sugar goes low, my lower face- mouth, lips, chin, lower cheeks- gets numb, like it fell asleep. So if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic, that is another possibility. If you haven't been tested for it, you might want to consider it, especially if this is increasing in frequency.

Good luck!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2008