Refusing to throw out anymore food

I just cleaned out my refrigerator and realized how wasteful my family is and I'm putting my foot down!!! We are big enough pigs in this house that there shouldn't be a bite of food thrown away. Leftovers go to waste instead of being eaten, meals I plan to make never get made and the ingredients spoil before they're used. NO MORE!!! We're not made of money and just reading on here, I know there are hungry people out there and this is wasteful!!!

So I'm looking for tips on how to use left over meats, etc...and also I have half a dozen eggs due to expire tomorrow and I was looking for a creative way to use them. I've already thought of develed eggs, quiche, breakfast for dinner, and hard boiling them for salads, but I know there is more out there!!! Give me your best tips!!!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I got tired of throwing away copious amounts of food, too! Now if there are leftovers from the night before we ALWAYS eat them for lunch the next day. I make a weekly menu and figure out exactly what i'll need and only go to the store once a week and buy what I need to make the meals on my menu. That helps alot, too!
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• make french toast for breakfast - that will use 6 eggs :)

i freeze all meat and only thaw once i am ready to use it. we eat leftovers for lunch all the time!
    sunmoonstars

Answer by sunmoonstars at 12:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Leftover veggies - you know, that half cup of corn, the 3 tablespoons of green beans, etc. Throw 'em in a freezer baggie, then make veggie soup once it's full. Same for little bits of meat. Chop them into bite size pieces, and throw them in your soup.

Milk freezes, but not sour cream. Butter - keep it in the freezer 'til you use it.

Salad greens are what drive me crazy. We NEVER finish a bag/tub and it always goes to slime. Can't be frozen and doesn't taste good in anything other than salad. So I started buying only baby spinach. When it starts going past it's prime, it gets cooked with garlic and sesame oil and served on the side.

For your eggs, I'm an egg salad sammich kinda gal. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 12:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I used to be just like this!!! I bought the green bags that you see on tv. Somehow it keeps fruits and veggies from going bad immediantly. They work really well. You just toss your food in there and tie a knot in the end. They are easy to wash and resuse. I also bought some tupperware that helps. You push the air out of the top and it makes a little vacuum seal. I love these!!!

I used to over buy as well. Now, I plan two or three meals for the week. We always end up eating at a family members or going out once a week. There is only my husband, myself, and our daugter so we usually have lots of leftovers. If your family is bigger, you could double recipes.

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Last week was especially busy. On Monday night I made stuffed shells and a huge pot of chicken noodle soup. Both save well. We had these Monday through Thursday for lunch and dinner. To make it a little more interesting, I added fresh fruit, salads, and easy sides.

Good luck! I hate wasting food.
    jcsscfam5

• Omelets or frittatas are great ways to combine eggs with veggies and/or meat.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My freezer is my best friend when it comes to leftovers. It took me a couple times of cleaning out the fridge to start doing it, but now we have very little if anything that goes to waste.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Good for you!! I try really hard not to make too much, because I know unless it is a certain select group of foods, it won't get eaten as leftovers in my house.

The half dozen eggs...just the right amount for a puff pancake breakfast or Eibrot breakfast tomorrow! I have a link to the recipe and picture tutorial on my blog:

http://eating-sandiego.blogspot.com/2008/08/best-sunday-breakfast-youll-ever-make.html

As for leftover meats, leftover chicken, roast, etc is great for enchiladas and tacos. Simmer shredded meat with salsa for tacos, with enchilada sauce for enchiladas.

jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I'm a huge fan of quesadillas. Cheese lasts a long time in the fridge.. a little colbyjack between two tortillas + whatever leftover meat (grilled chicken is delicious). They make a great lunch or snack, or dinner with a few sides.

I second egg salad for the eggs - my kids could eat their weight in egg salad.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Something I have seen, there is a lady on Food Network (I think Robin Miller??) that plans her week around cooking 2-3 times and then recycling her left overs 2-3 other nights. I've wanted to put that in work at my house too.. (like she might make extra white rice one night, pork roast another, and then makes a fried rice third night from the leftover rice and pork?)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 6:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2008