My 18mos old wont eat a meal?! Advice plz?

My DS wont eat meals cuz my mom and sister feed him junk snacks all day. How can i get him back on a good routine? i try to feed him healthy gerber meals and stuff and sometimes he doesnt like them and wont eat them but he will eat cheetos so my (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mom and sis say he's hungry. I think if he's hungry he'll eat whats healthy and not jus stuff he likes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Try giving him any healthy table foods you make for yourself. He might be getting bored with the Gerber meals. And the junk food needs to be eliminated. Tell the others you don't want him fed junk. Supply all his food when he is with them.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• yeah make little meals yourself of kid friendly finger foods and healthy snack.s in little baggies. applies, bananas, and things like that. carrots ect. then make the other stuff treats. i understand about him not eating full meals. my dd goes to daycare and eats there all day and hardly eats dinner. but the doctor did say that toddlers do graze alot too so as long as they get good food its fine.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 8:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• keep lookin! it might be time to change what you're trying to feed him. my daughter never cared much for gerber once she passed the simple solid ones. and if you dont want him eating junk they have no reason to feed it to him
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 8:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• well we took my son off gerber meals when he was about a year old. he eats table food. what we make for dinner is what he eats. he was eating table food like mashed potatoes, mac and cheese, appel sauce when he was about 7 months old. maybe 6months. try "real food"
    mommaclow

Answer by mommaclow at 9:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I would not call the gerber meals healthy.

Send healthy food and snacks for your mom and sister to feed him. Offer the same healthy meals that you eat

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2011

• I am going to post something given to me by the feeding clinic I took my son to at the Children's Hospital. It will take 2 blocks. I mostly follow them and it works great for us. His therapist said some kids need to have it strictly followed to eat well. Good luck!
    THE FOOD RULES
    (to promote a pleasant, healthy mealtime environment)
    1) Meals will be at regularly scheduled times; only planned snacks should be given.

2) Nothing between meals will be offered, including bottles, milk, or juices. The child may drink water if thirsty.

3) Solids will be offered first fluids last.

4) Meals will last no longer than 30 minutes.

5) Child will be encouraged to self-feed as much as possible (i.e., finger feed, hold spoon, etc).

6) A sheet under the high chair will “catch the mess”. Wipe the child’s mouth and clean up only after the meal is over.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 5:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• 7) The child should learn to eat without approval or disapproval. Do not force food or comment on the child’s intake. Mealtime should be in a neutral atmosphere.

8) Food should not be given as a present or reward.

9) No game playing at mealtime. Do not use games to feed the child.

10) Food should be moved after 10-15 minutes if the child seems to play with the food without eating.

11) Meal should be terminated if the child throws food in anger.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 5:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011