My son will only nurse from one breast. I look like this /Oo\ PLEASE HELP!

For a few months now, my son has refused to nurse from my right breast. As a result, I am very very very lopsided. I asked my husband to try the milk & he said that it was really sour. I'm not sure if it was sour because it hasn't been touched in so long or if it's because there's something wrong with my milk production in that breast. I breastfed my 2 previous children without any problems. I tried adjusting the position he lays in because I thought the issue was discomfort, but it didn't help. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks.

rAbella

Asked by rAbella at 7:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you may have an infection in one side. most kids do tend to like one over the other. just pump the other side to keep them even . also if you can contact a lactation specialist or talk to your ob about the sourness in the one side.
    elffyefli

Answer by elffyefli at 7:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Both of my boys had a favorite breast. Unfortunately it was the same boob and without a bra I now have an inch difference between nipples. So I understand what you're talking about. Some kids just have a favorite boob, it has nothing to do with the milk. But I would suggest pumping that breast when he eats off the other. That will help to even them out, but he still may reject it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I was about to suggest the same thing. Pump your right breast if he prefers your left.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• If you're not bothered by the appearance, there is nothing wrong with nursing only from one breast. I doubt there is anything wrong with the milk in that breast, but the production is probably very low. Did he say it tasted different then the milk in the other breast? Milk will not sour in your breast, so don't worry about that.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Try hand expressing from the fuller side. It may be too full. Try several different holds. Offer the fuller side first and last.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2011