On vacation...ear infection question

I'm out of town right now and I'm wondering if my 25m old has an ear infection. He's had no fever but been very fussy. He's had thick nasal discharge and I can tell he's congested by the way he's breathing. This has been going on for 2 days. Just a little bit ago, after his bath, there was a big piece of kinda hard ear wax that came out.
Do you think I should take him to a doctor? I'm hesitant only because I'm in an area not familiar but maybe I should take him in to an immediate care around here.
Also- have you ever used any homeopathic medicines for ear infections? I've heard about giving them Pulsatilla but don't know much about it. Natural treatment for them?
Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Kids' Health

• My son doesn't do the ear pulling but he gets nasal congestion and is fussy. I would look for an urgent care some places have pediatric urgent cares. We have used the over counter Kids size Earache relief that is safe with antibiotics called Similasan. It says it's safe for all ages but it doesn't cure an infection. My daughter used it alot last summer she was getting swimmers ear. It's just pain relief. It helped her but she is older than your little one. Good luck.
    mkula

Answer by mkula at 2:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2011

• use some castor oil warmed test the heat on your wrist just like you did a bottle put 1-2 drops in the ear hold him on your shoulder head ear down 5-10 min - signs of ear ache pulling of ear this is common with teething
    nettalou

Answer by nettalou at 8:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• if its been going on for two days already, i'd get him into an urgent care-clinic as soon as you can. you may have let it go too far.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• my son has never pulled his ears when he had an infection..always congestion/runny nose, sometimes slight fever. never complained about ears.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My son had swimmer's ear when we were on vacation. We took him to urgent care. They prescribed drops. It was easy.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:59 PM on Jan. 31, 2011