Child Abuse...

I knew child abuse was a HUGE issue, but I was reading an article in a local magazine which presented some numbers which really shocked me. We all hear about Childhood illnesses and what not, but for some reason there are few charities, walks or anything to help end it... Yet the article said that while Leukemia is the number one illness induced cause of death, the number of deaths due to abuse is FOUR times that of Leukemia...

So my question is this... What (IYO) are some things that can be done to both prevent and stop Child abuse? And do you think there should be more people making more noise about this cause?

If you want to read the article HERE it is...  There are some VERY VERY interesting points in that article, but here's the one that caught me most of all - When a child gets sick it's the parents who speak up and create these charities and make all the noise. But when a child is abused it's usually by a parent - and no one is going to make noise to stop themselves...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I place abused/neglected children in foster homes -- the stories I hear are HORRENDOUS -- WHy would grandparents shoot up 3 & 4 year-old little girls with meth? Why would a "father" feel the need to stub out cigarettes on his sons' neck? Why would parent's allow their children (toddler's) sleep with animal faces in the bed? Why would a mom choose drugs over her babies?? I don't have the answers, but your right, something needs to be done!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• It is a community's job to watch out for abuse. Drs, teachers, neighbors and friends. Also children often die at the hands of the parent's boyfriend/girlfriend. We have to keep a watchful eye on kids as a whole and be especially careful who we bring into our homes.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I agree this is a huge issue and something needs to be done. It saddens but yet sickens me at the same time on how these so called parents can do this to innocent children. i wish i could take ALL these abused children in and give them a better life. Something must be done!

Christieluv0614

Answer by Christieluv0614 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think we need to do more before people become parents. Parenting should be part of the life skills classes that kids get in junior high school, and again in high school. I think that in order to get welfare, and family aid, parents should also have to attend parenting classes. (That isn't to say that I think low income people are more likely to abuse, I know that's not true, however it's one more way to educate parents.)

I think that schools, PTA's, and heath care providers, and health insurance companies should be offering low cost or free parenting classes, and that perhaps as an incentive for taking classes, there should be some kind of tax credit, or bonuses like vouchers that can be used to purchase clothing for your children, or to help pay for child care, or for backpacks for school, that kind of thing. Anything that encourages parents to learn better disciplinary techniques, and parenting techniques.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 8:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I recent read a news article about a mom who left her child with nd so she could go to work. The child was crying a lot anĸ the bc didn't like it, so he beat the poor child. Sadly, the child never made it...
    hazeleyezmommy

Answer by hazeleyezmommy at 8:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• Working with the abused children makes me sooooooo suspicious of people -- I never leave my child with anyone I dont know well and have done a background check on -- you just never know.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• My husband was physically and emotionally abused by both parents as a child. His extended family knew and did nothing.
    Anonymous

• I think abuse is often over-looked because some dont recognize curtain things as abuse. it is so hard not to loose your temper when you have children, being a parent is one of the most stressful jobs there is. and parents dont understand the impact their choices and actions have on their little ones.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 9:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• sarahlu, that's exactly why I think we need more parent education. People don't realize the impact of what they do, and they grew up a certain way so they often think it's normal. Parenting is the most challenging job we do, and we're given virtually no training in how to do it.

Wouldn't it be great to get some training.....
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:33 PM on Jan. 31, 2011

• I think there needs to be more parent education and more awwareness of what to do if you can't be a good parent.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:07 PM on Feb. 1, 2011