What morals, valves and charater are you teaching your children?

Are you doing your best to help make them good choices with little regrets so they can be healthy mentally and emotionally?

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 12:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Ooo, Good question!!! It's hard. Especially these days with some many outside influences and so little parental involvement. My Daughter is almost 13, she's always been beyond her years. I've always said she has an old soul. She did some gowing up quick, when her older brother (21 years) passed away suddenly. I'll admit..i was out of it for at least a year. BUT...now that I'm back...I really have to pay attention. She's not allowed to do some of the things that at least one of her friends is aloud to do. Her best friend. Her friend is allowed to "roam" around for hours on end. Go hang out at the park..which is next to the school, have boy friend(s), she has much more freedom than our daughter...I just dong get it..their only 12 and 13 years old... I may be stricter...but we've always told our daughter..."there will be things that other girls will be doing that you will not be allowed to do" DinksMom

koba

Answer by koba at 1:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I am teaching honesty, responsibility, consequences, self reliance and self confidence. My daughter is learning to make decisions and how those decisions effect her life.

MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 4:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• yes i think i am. we attend church every sunday and they have church activities that they attend as well. my new husband is a great role model as well as me. we didn't make the best choices in our lives and my older kids lived through all that. they never use it agaisnt me cause they know i made mistakes and that they are the past. they know that since i made mistakes that i can speak from personal experience of what happens when you use drugs. i have repented and somehow have managed to keep the lines of communication open and we trust each other. they don't mind me having the myspace passwords and i always treat them with respect. we set the standards and then we live by them. we display the rules of standards in our house to remind them of what the lord expects us to live by.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• first of all I would tech them how to spell.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 12:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Oh I love the moral question. I lead a moral life as an example for my children. I teach my kids to be considerate, honest, and hard working. Education comes first in our home. So worth ethics are essential for them to keep up and independent..
    I do a boat load of charity work and all three of my teens step up when people ask for help. I am always amazed at how compassionate they are.
    I heard a radio show a long time ago the famous pediatrician had people call and ask questions. This mother talked about how her kids swore and had a short fuse. She did all she could do to tell them to be have however they never listened to her instructions. Simply put he told her "kids learn by example not by directions".. I was like holy crap. I need to be a better example. So that is the advice I have always followed.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Flowerchild that was rude, obviously no one taught you well. I teach my children about self respect, compassion for others and how life is what you make it.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 10:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Yes staceynoel, Flowerchild was very rude. I taught my children that everyone is different and everyone has disabilities. They just don't show as well in people. Like, say Mary has trouble with math but Joe is great with math but may lack in history. Know one is perfect. Everyone has disabilities. I hate math, i m not good at it. I can't read a map and get lost easily. I can't read a tape measure and have poor comprehention. oops i spelled that word wrong. ~shrugs my shoulders~ I am usually good at spelling, reading and writing. I love to make pictures on my computer. Those are my stronger points.

My children were taught respect. My youngest would even say "Yes Ma'am" and "No Ma'am* to adults. I didn't even enforce that. My son's friends parents tell me they always knew when he did something he wasn't suppose to because he didn't put the Ma'am or Sir in his response. LOL
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 1:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Cont....

My children do not laugh at someone because the talk funny or walk funny. They do not make fun of a person in a wheel chair or if they are missing a limb. They are usually the first to stand up and help those people. They were also taught you do not treat a person with (shown) disabilities any different then you would treat someone who didn't.

My daughter works as an in home care giver with mentally challenged people. she loves her job and because of the way she was raised is very good at her job. I am proud of her. I am proud of me because I think respect is a very strong moral that all children should lean.

You have to give respect to get respect.
    Xee

Answer by Xee at 1:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I have tried to set a good example and talk with my kids like they are adults. I explained that self-esteem and self-confidence are very important. If you have a conscience at all, you will feel bad about yourself if you do things that you know are wrong or harmful to yourself. You need to love yourself so that you will be happy and successful as an adult. I tell them that I cannot be with them 24/7 so I am trying my best to give them good information and hope that they will make good choices for themselves. It seemed to work. I have three kids who are all adults and none of them do drugs or abuse alcohol and none have been arrested so far (one of them is 30). Make it about them and let them know you love them. Christianity should be taught too because it is our responsibility to educate them.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 10:20 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• This is my first chance to respond to being called rude.I was'nt trying to be.I just thought that as a parent,its a given that you would teach you children morals,VALUES,and help them build CHARACTER. (I was also suprised how those two words I just capitalized were spelt)
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 2:26 PM on Nov. 18, 2008